You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Looking for a good first compound bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1483 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 466

Default Looking for a good first compound bow

I have about zero knowledge of compound bows but want to buy one and learn to use it well. I'm looking for recommendations from someone knowledgeable on the subject. To put it in firearms terms, I don't need a Nighthawk but don't want a Llama either. I'm looking for the Colt or Springfield equivalent.

What do I need to look for in a bow? Is there a price point that separates crap and quality? What brand names are reliable? What should I know that I don't know to ask?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3504 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

*shameless pimping* Don't forget to check your Promotive discounts.

If NGIB doesn't jump right in, I would PM him. He has been spending a lot of time on an archery forum and has learned a ton. We have had a couple of back channel communique's about it and he is really digging having a bow in the arsenal. I am betting he will have some good "baseline" questions to help in your hunt.

And keep us informed. Thanks to that damn TxHillbilly I am seriously looking at a crossbow now. *shaking fist*

JD

Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #3

Are you thinking the AR-15 crossbow? I think it looks bad ass but it's pricey.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Are you thinking the AR-15 crossbow? I think it looks bad ass but it's pricey.
I have drooled over it.

I have lusted for it.

I handled it at SHOT.

But the one that TxHillbilly got is SO much more practical and the trade off in FPS and weight of the bolts is pretty small for 2 times the price.

I have not, however, ruled it out though.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #5

Liked 861 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

This is the one I got and is pretty solid for a starter bow Martin Threshold Adventure Series Bow Kit at Sportsman's Guide It is from Martin which is a respected archery company. You won't be into it to much if you decide you don't like it.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #6

Liked 1635 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thanks to that damn TxHillbilly I am seriously looking at a crossbow now. *shaking fist*

JD
Ha,Ha,Ha! Sorry J.D.,but look at it this way.I'm saving you from buying another gun.
I looked at the PSE Tac-15 for a long time,but the cost of it doesn't fit the equipment that you get.Plus those PSE bolts are very pricey for that thing.

Yunus,I would suggest that you visit an archery store near you.Most will try to get you headed in the direction that you want to go,and also let you shoot several different bows to find what fits you and that you like.
Bowtech/Diamond
Parker
Pearson
PSE
All have great starter priced bows that won't cause you to take out a second mortage.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Ha,Ha,Ha! Sorry J.D.,but look at it this way.I'm saving you from buying another gun.
LMFAO!! Quoted for Truth My Brother!

But I am REALLY considering doing some pricing of that AWESOME looking crossbow in your safe. You bastard!!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #8

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

I am a noob to bows but as JD said I did a lot of research before I bought the 2 I have. First are you looking for a target bow or a hunting bow? Target bows are generally longer axle to axle and don't have the fiercely aggressive cams. Hunting bows are short and most have very aggressive cams to squeeze out every possible bit of speed. I just shoot in the backyard and never plan to hunt so I went the target bow route. Both of mine are Martins, a RazorX and a Sceptre, and they are very smooth shooters. I bought both of them used at about a 3rd of their new price and both were in pristine shape. I shoot with fingers as well as a release and most short aggressive cam hunting bows don't finger shoot very well.

Used bows do not hold their value like used guns so keep this in mind. It's easy to pay upwards of $700 for a new bow and not to hard to find the same bow lightly used for $300 or so. A new bow many times does not come with everything you need to shoot it like sights, a rest, a stabilizer, and so on. A used bow will generally have all these accessories installed which saves you lots of money. One caveat to buying used is it's best to have it checked out by a bow shop. Strings wear quickly and if it's ever been dry fired the cams can be damaged. Also, and this is advice I got from Bear, go to a bow shop to get measured as if the bow don't fit you will not shoot well. My draw length is 30.5 inches so I had to find a bow that could go this far. Many bows stop at 30 inches and correct draw length is absolutely critical.

As far as brands, bow fanboys are about 1000% worse than Glock (or 1911) fanboys. It's very hard to get any good info as brand loyalty seems to be everything in the bow world. Any of the top companies make nice stuff including Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, Martin and the like. I know Bear is a Matthews fan and I'd trust him in bows as well as guns. One of the reasons I went with Martin is they have a great reputation for customer service and their bows can be disassembled without a bow press - many can't. Also, Martin allows a wider range of pull weight adjustment than some other brands. The pull weight is lightened by loosening the limb bolts an equal amount and 4-5 turns is all most manufacturers recommend. With a Martin you can go 6 turns with no problems and with a gimpy shoulder I like to be able to lessen the weight a tad more. Both of mine are 60# and I usually have them set in the 45# range.

Hope this helped some as it's truly difficult to find unbiased bow information. The only real forum is Archerytalk and TBH it's not very friendly and the "fanboyness" is overwhelming...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-12-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #9

What is the life expectancy of a new bow? I'm just wondering why the value of a used one drops so quickly.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #10

Liked 309 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Yunus, it don't matter what brand bow you get. What matters is that it fits YOU. That means getting a bow with draw length EXACTLY what your draw length is. A bow shop will help you find your draw length. Another thing is don't get carried away with too much draw weight-my bow only maxes out @ 60 pounds. You'll want at LEAST a 7" brace height. A good target is a must. I'd recommend good carbon arrows.