A little history !
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > A little history !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3168 Times on 1800 Posts
Likes Given: 18402

Default A little history !

How did the shuriken , you know , the throwing stars , get it,s name ? We'll , a feller asked another cellar can you throw this thang ? The other fellar said "sure I can".

Now I on serious note . The throwing stars we're mean mainly as a painful distraction which gave the attacker more ample rime rime finish the .
Now in the case of the ninja , the rips were dunk In poison but in no way quick !

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

They were originally for small game.....

"Feuer Frei!"

orangello Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
They were originally for small game.....
ROFLing over here, thinking of a rabbit with a throwing star in his back and a group of ninjas quietly celebrating...probably not as good for squirrels.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2801 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Yeah, probably hard for them to grip & throw!

sqninj2.jpg  

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

orangello Likes This 
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Yeah, probably hard for them to grip & throw!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 459 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I shoot a lot of traditional archery and use ,, and break,, many wooden arrows.
My buddies and I take the broken arrows and make what we refer to as Apache throwing stars,,, just take the broken arrows, cut a couple of pieces to same length, cut a notch in each shaft , join together with some glue and wrap with artificial sinew, sharpen the ends and there you have one. Just something to do but they actually throw fairly well and taking small game with one would seem feasible. Most are made with about 10 to 15" shafts.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I was obsessed with the "throwing star" as a kid. That all ended when Dad found the strange holes in the fence... I blamed squirrels of course - the end of my experience... This is just a cut and paste from Wikipedia:

"Contrary to popular belief, shuriken were not primarily intended as a killing weapon, but rather as a secondary weapon that sometimes played a role supportive to a main weapon, usually the sword or spear.[4] Shuriken were primarily used to cause either nuisance or distraction. Targets were primarily the eyes, face, hands, or feet—the areas most exposed under armor. The shuriken would sometimes be thrown in a way that cuts the opponent and becomes lost, later causing the opponent to believe that they were cut by an invisible swordsman.[2]

Shuriken, especially hira-shuriken, were also used in other novel ways—they might be embedded in the ground, injuring those who stepped on them (similar to a caltrop or makibishi), wrapped in fuse to be lit and thrown to cause fire, or wrapped in a cloth soaked in poison and lit to cover an area with a cloud of poisonous smoke.[5] They can also be used as a handheld striking weapon in close combat.[6]

There are reports of shuriken being coated with poison, intended either for a throwing target or for whoever may pick them up when left in a conspicuous place.[7] Other reports indicate that shuriken may have been buried in dirt or animal feces and allowed to harbor the bacterium Clostridium tetani—if the point penetrated a victim deeply enough, the bacteria transferred into the wound could cause a then-incurable tetanus infection."

I am sure some of you here remember this "shuriken"

shu = "hand" (it's another way to say the same kanji for "te", as in kara-te "empty-hand," or shu-to "blade/knife-hand," better known as a "karate-chop"

ri = "hidden," or "concealed," and...

ken = "blade"

Last edited by Agent_H; 03-27-2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: just more internet info