Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Let's talk knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Let's talk knives

It seems that most folks that are into guns also get into knives at some point.

I have some knives that are very good quality and some that are basically throw-aways.

What do you have? Have you made your own? We have some knife makers here, maybe they'll teach us some stuff.

Personally, I get confused by all the types of steel. It seems that there's a zillion types. I know about the Rockwell Scale, but not a whole lot more.

So, let's talk knives for a while and see what we can learn.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have the ESEE, and a couple of old machete's... one of 'em is US issue, but the grips are gone. I wrapped it with para-cord.

I built a few knives out of 01 tool steel, before I retired, but they were crude. I'd like to have the tools to try it again, but that's not likely.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just bought a kershaw. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Uninfluenced by these recent knife threads, I was looking for a new fixed blade for a daily carry. I'm tired of reaching into my pocket, just to have my folder in the way. I was going to start a new one, but maybe I could hijack this one for a little bit.

Does anyone carry a fixed blade daily? If so, what? Is there a certain maximum/minimum size I should be looking at?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have made a few knives by stock removal method out of ATS 34. Paid to have them professionally heat treated. I would like to post some pics but am too technologically maladroit. I have also stuck handles on a few blades, same problem with pics. First bought blade I handled probably was the nicest of those I ever did, sold it for $50. Have kicked myself more than once. Re-handled a few Rapalla filet knives, carry one very often, gave the rest away. I've also bought a few knives, most of which are nicer than the ones I've made.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Dnthmn, in my current job I carry a lot of other crap on my belt so have no room for a sheath knife, therefor stuck with a folder. When not at work I habitually carry a fixed blade of 3- 3 1/2 inches with a handle about the same size. This makes for a compact package, not much bigger than a folding knife in belt sheath, so doesn't alarm the citizenry, but much more useful. Most often my re-stocked and re-shaped Rapalla filet knife, but sometimes my fossil bone handled ATS 34 hand made maiden voyage.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Does anyone carry a fixed blade daily? If so, what? Is there a certain maximum/minimum size I should be looking at?
Not allowed to carry a fixed blade here in Los Angeles, but can have any size folder. I find a folder with a clip holds the knife to the side of my pocket where it is not in the way, and gives quick access when needed. I have a Cold Steel Recon that is my at work carry. I have had it since before the FTF resentment with CS. I also have a very nice Gerber that was a FTF secret Santa gift two Xmas's ago. And I have a cheepie stiletto style assisted opener. It is very thin and more of my black tie knife for when I am in a suit. Last Xmas a vendor gave me a small assisted open Kershaw that I use as a money clip.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Knives a plenty at Chez Rock. I've been addicted to them since I was 5. I know FTF had some personality conflict with Cold Steel, but I've yet to find a better factory fixed blade knife.

I would love be as skilled as Pandamonium in the knife making arena, and as skilled as Freefall with the English language (major kudos for possibly the first ever use of the word "maladroit" on a gun forum!!), but have replaced a fair amount of handles on knives over the years.

Most high quality knives will take a tremendous amount of abuse and bounce back. The trick is finding one that will also take, and hold, a great edge.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #9

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I have both factory knives, ones that I have made from pre-cut blanks and a few from bar stock. I am slowly working on getting together a few tools to be able to make them from stock so I don't have to borrow friends shops. There are alot of choices out there as far as types of steels. I really like CPM 154 and D2 steels for making them from bar stock.

Here are a few that I have done from pre made blanks.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have one or two.

Let me warm up the camera....