Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Let's Debate Knife Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I haven't had too much professional weapons training but have been in more than 50 street fights probably 10 of which involved weapons. Used to live in some bad parts of a few different cities.

I always carry a knife or 2. I usually have 3 weapons on me at all times; most of them in plain sight but you'd never know it. I sleep with my knife on me and a gun at my side. Right now I have 9 conventional weapons at arms reach, and a lot more unconventional ones.

In all those fights and having all those weapons, I've not once reached for one of my weapons. The only time I did have weapons, was while disarming my opponent; I'll just throw it after taking it.

I actually prefer my opponent having a weapon, more times than not they will attack with it. I mean, how easy are they going to make it for me? I'm certainly not going to return the favor.

I've never found an individual looking for trouble to have any type of skills whatsoever.

[edit] I actually have 19 conventional weapons within reach. (After counting...) There is probably a few more tucked in a nook or cranny I forgot about.

Last edited by The_Kid; 01-19-2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: adding additional info

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #32

My .02
The beginning of the thread talked about the legality of carrying a blade. This happened to me last year. After being pulled over for a traffic incident I was told to get out of the car. The officer asked if I had any weapons on me. I told him yes and proceeded to show him my right pocket where my knife with pocket clip was. He proceeded to confiscate said blade but did'nt "charge" me with having a weapon concealed or otherwise. After taking care of the original traffic problem I asked him if he could return my blade to me. He said yes and dropped it off at my haouse a few weeks later. As he handed me my blade through the passenger side car window of his cruiser he said "hide it, don't let anyone see it".

I asked him what the legality of possessing this weapon is and he told me if it's more than four fingers across it's illegal and a felony. I then asked that since people are physically built different let's assume the officer checking this blade is on the slight side or on the bigger side wouldn't that affect the legality of the knife. He stated that four fingers is the rule and that's that.

To me this was not a very sufficient answer and proceeded to go online to check out the state statutes regarding this situation.

The law states that any blade that is carried as a pocket knife should be no more than 5 inches in length. Also the person carrying the knife should have a good reason for carrying it ie. work related. And I am paraphrasing.

Still not satisfied I called the watch commander at the local PD headquarters and asked him the same question. He originally went with the four finger defense but when I told him of the statute he said "do you mean a knife like we carry with the pocket clip". "Exactly" I said. "Then you should have no problem".

As you can see different people, different definitions. The knife in question that I usually carry is a Dark Ops Stratofighter with a partially serrated blade. The blade measures about 4 3/4"

Old 01-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #33

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You need to research your local laws, don't depend on police officers to know them for you.

I carry laminated copies of firearm and other related laws in my wallet, since I've been stopped by policemen who had no clue as to which the requirements for transporting firearms were and he wanted to confiscate them. Always be polite and respecful, though. Behaving like a gentleman is usually half the battle with LEOs (they see their fair share of douche bags).

Where are you from? If you're from the US, you need to join Knife Rights (a sort of NRA for knife users, Knife Rights - Home)

The appearence of the knife is also a factor, that Stratofighter looks (and is marketed) as a pure fighter. My personal opinion about Dark Ops would be off topic, so I'll keep it to myself.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #34

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
My personal opinion about Dark Ops would be off topic, so I'll keep it to myself.
Francisco, as you are the FTF Blade expert, I do not believe I am the only one who would like to hear this opinion.

JD

Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #35

I'm in the Republic of NJ. I like Dark Ops blades but I have Cold Steel, EDMF, Ontario Spec Plus, Spyderco, Buck, the newer issue of the Mamba, Aitor etc. I like big blades.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #36

One of the problems though is that the police do the arresting and your innocence has to be proven after appearing before the magistrate so your lawyer can educate the judge and the arresting officer. Ignorance of the law is no excuse and that goes for police officers as well.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #37

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I too would love to hear Francisco's opinion on the Dark Ops knives.

And, ignorance of the law is no excuse is correct, getsumishin. Police enforce the laws, but they do not charge persons with crimes. That is up to the Prosecutor, who by definition, must know the law....

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #38

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Francisco, as you are the FTF Blade expert, I do not believe I am the only one who would like to hear this opinion.

JD
Ok. Here it goes, no offense meant to any fans of the brand. Dark Ops has been considered a joke in the cutlery world by most knowledgeable knife enthusiasts, to the point that they are almost universally known as "Dork Ops" within the knife community.

Their advertising was always waaay over the top, aimed at the mall ninja crowd and made all knife lovers look bad in the eyes of the general public. I'm not very fond of Cold Steel's claims or videos, but at least they just put their knives through tests and show the outcome. DO includes things like using your knife to fight through mobs and other stuff that's in poor taste (IMHO). Anybody who writes "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." in an ad
Anyway, this part is pretty personal and some might like their style. I don't.

Then there's their lack of respect for intelectual property. Their first models were all copied off of Extrema Ratio knives, they didn't even show actual knives on their website for quite a long time. Just digital pics. In fact, it took months from when they published their first ads to the time when we could see an actual knife from them.

The claims they make about their steel are just impossible as well. Hell, if they've come up with such a steel they should retire from the knife business and make a fortune selling steel! They just write what they think their target audience wants to hear. I'd like them to publish the proper AISI or SAE name for their magical CTV2, so I could look it up in my steel charts.

Since I sell knives, I need to be more or less up to date with new stuff and try out designs I don't like (I'll freely admit that I don't like purely tactical knives, my taste goes more towards traditional knives). I ordered a couple of Dark Ops knives when they became available and was quite disapointed. These are $200 knives that's pretty steep for a production folder and it puts it up against some really good knives from serious companies like Kershaw, Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, Al Mar, Spyderco, etc.

The knife was well built, I'll give them that, but it wasn't something I'd carry. IMHO, they are over priced and over hyped.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #39

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This is where Francisco and I part ways.

I know if I'm going to a Star Trek convention in my Klingon costume, no other knife is appropriate.

Seriously, I think this opens a whole other facet to the original thread. If a guy pulls one of these new blades that looks like a piece fell off of a Terminator, does this signal inexperience?

I worry more about the guy with a streamlined custom, with no bells and whistles, than I do about the guy with one of the dozen or so AK-47 variants. Or the ones that look like we attached 3 different saw blades to the back.

I submit that the two newest Bokers, their new "Batman", and the even more hideous "AK 47", are the epitome of a knife company going the Gil Hibben route, once great knives that turned into fantasy wallhangers.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Seriously, I think this opens a whole other facet to the original thread. If a guy pulls one of these new blades that looks like a piece fell off of a Terminator, does this signal inexperience?

Well, not necessarily. I know some guys who are scary with a blade that have an awful taste in knives.

I've also had some experience with ex-cons who could chop me into little pieces with an arm tied to their back and blindfolded, they certainly weren't knife connoisseurs and would carry any piece of crap that was sturdy enough (a friend's father hires ex-cons and teaches them a trade).

(canto XII, st. 6)

Last edited by Franciscomv; 01-31-2010 at 09:43 AM.