Let's Debate Knife Defense - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Let's Debate Knife Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I recieved a very small of knife training in the Marines. I do not concider myself an expert by any means. What I remember is being taught mainly slashing techniques as they allow you to more easily retain the weapon and it uses the weapon for it's designed purpose, cutting.
As Robo mentioned, pick your targets. The inside of the arms, neck, throat etc...areas that will bleed and bleed quickly should be your focus while not sacrificing your own guard.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-04-2009, 04:28 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I was a scrawny runt in high school and got picked on quite frequently. One day a group of bullies came to our house and a kid my brother and I didn't know lured us outside. Thankfully my brother and I happened to have our boot knives with us as we were jumped by the group of bullies with odds of 6 against 2. Thanks to us having the boot knives we were able to hold our own and my brother and I walked away with just a few punches actually landing on us and me having a bloody lip. I consider ourselves lucky as my brother lost his boot knife in the fight and I was able to pick it up before one of the bullies could. I ended up having to slash one of the bullies hand in the webbing between his index finger and thumb to prevent the bully from getting it first and I honestly believe it saved our butts that day.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've had just enough knife training to know I do not want to be in a knife fight, ever. I will not use my knife unless I am absolutely certain it will not be taken and used against me.

I dislike pocket knives, I dislike folding knives, thay are just too slow.

I do like the kabar tdi knives, they're very fast to deploy with little practice.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

None of us wants to be in this position.

Spot on that the knife has a huge psychological advantage over just about anything. I agree, I'd rather be shot.

Again, I'm thinking the prospect of a duel is remote. If a knife is your primary defense, you are underarmed, to be sure. If you're up against somebody who pulls one, I'd say odds are good that they have no idea what they're doing with it. In two instances where people have brandished a knife against me, the knives were slapped out of their hands, as their lousy grip and lack of training were evident.

That said, if you run up against the guy who knows what he's doing, you'd better have a gun. You WILL be cut, and each cut presents a problem. Once you start amassing problems, the blood loss compounds your problems immensely.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I dislike pocket knives, I dislike folding knives, thay are just too slow.

I do like the kabar tdi knives, they're very fast to deploy with little practice.
Those TDI knives are quite good, and the angled handle makes them easier to conceal since they aren't as long as a regular fixed blade with the same blade length.

I agree about folding knives being an inferior tool/weapon than a fixed blade knife, but they can be fast with practice and they are a lot easier to carry daily. There are systems like Emerson's WAVE that make it easier to open them quickly, I like WAVE equipped knives for left pocket carry, since that's my weak/slow hand I can use all the help I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
None of us wants to be in this position.

Spot on that the knife has a huge psychological advantage over just about anything. I agree, I'd rather be shot.

That said, if you run up against the guy who knows what he's doing, you'd better have a gun.
Certainly nobody wants to be in a knife fight. I've seen a few in rural towns (we Argentines still keep the duel tradition alive!) and they made me nervous as hell.

The psychological effect of a blade is undeniable, I remember a ghurka being interviewed about some policing work his unit had to do in some war torn God forsaken hellhole, the bloke said that people would fear his rifle because they knew UN troops would not fire, but that everyone was very civil and polite when he unsheathed his khukri (I know I'd be a perfect gentleman with one of those shoved in my face!).

I had a chance to see a guy who "knew what he was doing" face some very well trained guys at a knife show. He was an ex-con working for a friend of mine (a sword maker who believes in second chances), the boy had just been released from prison and although he didn't want to he was talked into fighting a bit with rubber trainning knives by some instructors that attended the show. If that guy is a sample of what prison inmates learn, we're f%&ked. He just mopped the floor with one "expert" after another.

Guns will always be a better choice, although at very close quarters I might prefer a knife, but in some countries civilians can't carry their firearms with the same freedom you guys have in most of the US. Then you've got those countries were you can't even carry a good SD knife...
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'd take a gun shot LONG before a slash from a knife... There's just something about seeing one's guts spilled, that sends a cold chill down my spine.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #27

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
I'd take a gun shot LONG before a slash from a knife... There's just something about seeing one's guts spilled, that sends a cold chill down my spine.
there is also something about having a new rectum (or 2) in your torso.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #28

Blade work can be a real pain. I seriously dislike those paint knives. There is no fear instilled with them.

Try training with one of these.

You will quickly find that you start to take your training seriously.

I am not sure about the legalities of getting them for civilian training. But they are great. The ones we used had multiple settings. Everything from a mild shock, to its highest setting that feels like you just got cut to the bone.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I did a lot of reading on No Nonsense Self Defense - Reliable information for dangerous situations and it was very enlightening about the realities of knife fighting, including its dangers and the extreme likelihood of failure. I carry a gun and plan to use that any time someone has more to use on me than a closed fist. But, you guys are scaring the hell outta me with all this knife business! I think Im going to get one of those collapsable batons. I won't pretend to have any training whatsoever in knife fighting, so I'd rather have as much reach as possible to keep them away from me!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #30

Likes Given: 2

short a gun i think i would rather have a baton against a knife than a knife of my own. mainly thinking, if you break their hand they will have a hard time holding a knife. that and do have some baton training.