Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Leatherman Multitool for pocket carry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/leatherman-multitool-pocket-carry-49643/)

HotFudge 10-11-2011 02:47 AM

Leatherman Multitool for pocket carry?

I'm thinking about getting either a Leatherman Wave or Skeletool to replace my worn-down Buck Bantam, are these things gonna be small enough for every-day pocket carry? I mean there's no point in having the stupid versatility if I can't fit the damn thing in my jeans pocket.

armoredman 10-11-2011 02:57 AM

Been carrying an original Leatherman for years, excellent tool to have around. Inexpensive rugged and useful.

CourtJester 10-11-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armoredman (Post 598637)
Been carrying an original Leatherman for years, excellent tool to have around. Inexpensive rugged and useful.

What he said. I have one in the car, the truck, my desk, and one on the counter that makes it back to my pocket most mornings.

c3shooter 10-11-2011 03:03 AM

Leatherman is like a Swiss Army knife (which I carry) in that they come in different sizes. I have an original leatherman that is just a smidge bigger than a regular 3 blade pocket knife. And then I have the leatherman that has a small chain saw, a rock drill, a blasting cap crimper, and a winch. THAT one rides in the belt case.

trip286 10-11-2011 03:15 AM

I carried the Leatherman Wave in Iraq, and was glad to have it.

Story time:
Once upon a time, a young lance corporal of Marines was unloading a truck full of "stuff" that was to be delivered to the company cp. This young feller came across several large shipping boxes of Leatherman Waves. When this young LCpl asked the company XO, "Sir, are these for us?" the XO replied with an evil sneer, "Hell no, devil nuts, they're good will gifts for some of the locals, so we can win the hearts and minds you freaking tard".

The young Lance Corporal leading this B.S. working party was very disheartened and upset. He had been in this crap hold country for 8 months already and was sick and tired of getting shot at, having crap explode around him at random, and having to put up with the total idiocy of his chain of command.

So the young Marine had a bright idea. While no one was looking he just grabbed one of the boxes, walked into his squad leader's berthing area bold as brass, and dropped them on the Sergeant's cot. He then ripped open the box, grabbed one to put in his pocket, and said loud and clear, "I just jacked these from the CP, enjoy!!" And all the Marines in the platoon mysteriously reported that their families had all coincidentally sent them the same model multi tool at the same time.

A few long months later, this same industrious Marine was out on patrol, and somehow managed to trip on something. While laying on his side after busting his lip on his SAW, he looks to see what is wrapped around his feet. It was a nest of wires leading to a pair of 155MM rounds buried in a shallow depression. So he snatched out his Leatherman and began cutting all wires as fast as possible, after all, he thought, sometimes the unknown is better than the known.

Yeah, I'd give my left one to have it back.

lkd 10-11-2011 03:44 AM

There's so many Leatherman choices, but I like the New Wave. Locking blades accessible w/o opening the tool = Awesome.

BTW, if you don't need pliers (but seriously, who doesn't?), you should check out the new Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Just sayin.

NDCent 10-11-2011 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 598644)
And then I have the leatherman that has a small chain saw, a rock drill, a blasting cap crimper, and a winch. THAT one rides in the belt case.

That's the kind I'm gonna ask Santa to bring me this year. :)

HotFudge 10-11-2011 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkd (Post 598696)
There's so many Leatherman choices, but I like the New Wave. Locking blades accessible w/o opening the tool = Awesome.

BTW, if you don't need pliers (but seriously, who doesn't?), you should check out the new Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Just sayin.

Pretty sure the Skeletool's blade can do the same thing.

The only thing I'm kinda iffy about is the blade size on both of 'em, I think the Wave's is just under 3 inches and the Skeletool's is like 2 and a half. The thing I loved about the Buck Bantam was that the blade was big and rugged enough to do crap that a knife wasn't supposed to do.

ScottA 10-11-2011 04:22 AM

Leatherman Juice would be easier to pocket carry.

BlindOldMan 10-11-2011 12:27 PM

The Wave with the optional pocket clip can be carried in a pocket. Without it,it's just a bit large for comfort. I regularly carry the Juice S2.