Latest bow
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Latest bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Latest bow

I've been having a lot of fun shooting my first bow which is a Martin Razor X target bow. Last week I ran across a deal I couldn't pass up on another very spiffy bow. This one is a Martin Slayer X and it's very "fast" and really pretty. The picture doesn't do it justice as it's a platinum black finish. This is an entirely different bow than the other as it has very aggressive cams, is 7 inches shorter axle to axle, and will sling an arrow about 25% faster at the same draw weight.

Between both bows and the accessories I got for them (sights, rests, stabilizers, etc.), I have less invested than it costs for a good pistol. This is fun stuff folks - y'all should try it. The way I see it, when the zombies come I'll have more options to thump them...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks like a really nice bow you got there NGIB. I like the look and it would appear it has the muscle to really sling some arrows.

How's the accuracy coming?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Looks like a really nice bow you got there NGIB. I like the look and it would appear it has the muscle to really sling some arrows.

How's the accuracy coming?
Better all the time. Last Sunday I shout about 30 arrows and I was able to finally get a 2" group with 3 arrows at 15 yards. I can tell you that shooting a pistol well is seriously easier than mastering a bow. At this point, at least I'm not losing or damaging many arrows as I'm able to keep them in the target. I'll probably never be a great shot as my bad right eye will prevent that (can't use my good eye to aim like I can with a handgun) but I'll get good enough to enjoy an afternoon slinging arrows.

The wife is enjoying her bow as well and she likes it more than shooting her gun. Probably due to it being cheap as the "ammo" is reusable. My son wants to start as well when he gets back so we'll probably have some family bonding sessions. Hobbies are a good thing...

Old 08-12-2010, 01:54 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Heck yeah! Great looking bow! You really got the bug don't ya. I also really love archery. I can't get my wife into it yet, but, you're right. It would be a perfect bonding activity. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE guns. But shooti g a bow is so peaceful and quiet

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congrats on the new bow and your advancing skills. Although, it looks kind of like a Medieval torture instrument.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Better all the time. Last Sunday I shout about 30 arrows and I was able to finally get a 2" group with 3 arrows at 15 yards. I can tell you that shooting a pistol well is seriously easier than mastering a bow. At this point, at least I'm not losing or damaging many arrows as I'm able to keep them in the target. I'll probably never be a great shot as my bad right eye will prevent that (can't use my good eye to aim like I can with a handgun) but I'll get good enough to enjoy an afternoon slinging arrows.

The wife is enjoying her bow as well and she likes it more than shooting her gun. Probably due to it being cheap as the "ammo" is reusable. My son wants to start as well when he gets back so we'll probably have some family bonding sessions. Hobbies are a good thing...

I am kind of jealous. I used to love shooting the bow, it was almost spiritual in the concentration, the release and that resounding THUNK when the arrow struck home.

I saw an episode of Pawn Stars that had a bow that came in and I was like "The hell did they start making bows that friggin cool?! I need one!" LOL

Old 08-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

NGIB, you and I have to get together and get a little blood on that thing, it's way too pretty. Very nice. Silent and deadly.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Beautiful compound bow NGIB!!

Jealousy!!!!!!!!!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #9

One thing I have learned is that bow folks "upgrade" much more than gun folks and real bargains are out there. Every year the bow makers put out new models just like the car industry and many fans just have to have the latest & greatest. A 1-2 year old bow (this one is an 08) can be had in great shape for 25% of what it cost new. I have $250 invested in this one and that includes the shipping from Texas...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-12-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Got the bow bug bad huh? Nice looking piece you picked up. I bought a year old model new and saved a bundle. The difference was enough to buy all the extras I needed to get started. Since they changed the hunting laws here in NC my next bow will be a crossbow.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer