Large Fixed Blade Sheath Knife - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Large Fixed Blade Sheath Knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

This pic shows the two knives i have

0227002304.jpg  

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

AverageJoe, a little more information would allow me to try and make a couple of suggestions you might find useful.

-What size knife are you looking for? "Large" means different things to different people. I usually carry a 4" or 5" blade, so a 6" blade would be "large" for me, but not for somebody who routinely packs an 8" blade knife.

-When you say "no plastic", does this apply just to the sheath or to the handle as well? I love natural handle materials and leather sheaths, but there are some very high qualit synthetic sheath and handle materials that will outlast natural materials and work well in harsh environments.

-How much do you want to spend? Just a rough idea so I can limit my suggestions to knives within your budget.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
AverageJoe, a little more information would allow me to try and make a couple of suggestions you might find useful.

-What size knife are you looking for? "Large" means different things to different people. I usually carry a 4" or 5" blade, so a 6" blade would be "large" for me, but not for somebody who routinely packs an 8" blade knife.

-When you say "no plastic", does this apply just to the sheath or to the handle as well? I love natural handle materials and leather sheaths, but there are some very high qualit synthetic sheath and handle materials that will outlast natural materials and work well in harsh environments.

-How much do you want to spend? Just a rough idea so I can limit my suggestions to knives within your budget.
Something 6" long would be nice i guess. if you know of a really good synthetic one that would be nice i guess but i trust leather and metal more. and pretty much anything under $200 i would look into

Bushrat for life

Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Check out Puma or Weidmannsheil...just make sure you get one made in Germany (they have some sourced out now to Spain, China, etc.).

Puma have a wide range of selection but White Hunter probably fits your needs. It looks a bit weird to some though but it is great & designed to perform.

Check eBay, for potential good deals.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Something 6" long would be nice i guess. if you know of a really good synthetic one that would be nice i guess but i trust leather and metal more. and pretty much anything under $200 i would look into
Ok, now we've got something to work with. Let's see if we can match you with your ideal knife.

-Fallkniven A1. It's one of my favourite 6" blades (it's actually 6.3"), it's laminated with a VG-10 core and convex ground. It's strong and well designed. The handle is kraton and the sheath is zytel, which are practical materials but not very handsome. I had a friend replace the kraton handle with wood and made a leather sheath for it as well (several places offer aftermarket leather sheaths). For around $160 it's one of the top performers in this size category.

-Blackjack Classic has two models that you might like, Model 125 and Model 7. They are more traditional knives with very nice natural handle material options (stag, stacked leather, etc.) as well as several micarta colours, sheaths are made out of leather. The blades are made out of A2 and convex ground. I love this steel, Bark River Knife and Tool makes these for Blackjack and Mike Stewart really knows his A2 heat treat.

Model 125 has a 5" blade and would be my choice for a utility knife that can do a bit of everything. Model 7 has a 7" blade and is a bit more of a fighter, but still quite practical although I don't care for the double guard. The links below show an example of each model with stacked leather handle.

Blackjack Classic Model 7 Leather Handle With Nickel Silver Guard & Pommel, Leather Sheath

Blackjack Classic Blades Model 125 Stacked Leather Handle with aluminium pommel

-Another good option in the 6" blade length would be Bark River's Custom Hunting Bowie, patterned after a Moran knife. Price varies depending on the handle material, but there are a few for around $200. ark River Knives: Custom Hunting Bowie - KnivesShipFree.com

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #16

I bought the rant bowie for the the exact same reason. Not too big, perfect size. great to skin and butcher, but strong enough to hack through some wood with ease.

10501 Details | Benchmade

these are good knives and reasonalbly priced as well.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Puma Bowie w/ stag handles and leather sheath

Oops didn't know links doesn't work here. just search eBay, they can be had for around $80.00 if you are not in a hurry.

Last edited by Poink88; 03-08-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #18

Liked 4716 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

Default No Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Something that would be mostly used to slice up animals but would eventually be used to do pretty much everything
IMO, knives, like guns, are task specific. Though I own many I find that my simple 3" folding utility knife handle 99% of daily task. The other 1% only happens durring extended buck season when I'm lucky enough to bag my white tail. For that task I've been using the old school 6" buck for 20 years. The blade is thin enought, "edge to back", that you can gut a deer w/out splitting the gut sack and skin him w/out spliting the hide and it's all stainless construction means you can throw it in the dishwasher when your done.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a drop point Rant with the combination blade in my truck bag. It will do most anything.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
This pic shows the two knives i have
Doc, you get max props for posting the first pic I've seen here of my beloved 20MM! There is only one "gun" I have ever claimed to be a master gunsmith on, and it's the Vulcan.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."