Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Lanyard for your knife - yes or no (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/lanyard-your-knife-yes-no-92096/)

Marthor 06-10-2013 06:05 PM

Lanyard for your knife - yes or no
 
http://www.amazon.com/EK-Paracord-Square-Weave-Lanyard/dp/B00BPWDPRW/ref=sr_1_25?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1370886949&sr=1-25&keywords=knife+lanyard

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...RL._SX385_.jpg

I'm interested in putting a lanyard on my survival knife. It could be used as a wrist retention aid and also some spare cord which can be useful. I also like to watch knife reviews by "nutnfancy" on youtube and noticed he was putting lanyards on some of his knives too.

Looking for "how to" instructions on how to tie my own or where I could buy a good one. This one I linked on amazon is spare cord, but I don't see how it would work for wrist retention.

mountainman13 06-10-2013 06:20 PM

550 cord is easy enough to get hands on. Directions for making anything you would possible want out of it are on YouTube.
Personally I'm not a big fan of the lanyard. I prefer to wrap my handles.

c3shooter 06-10-2013 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not for wrist. for thumb. Hook loop over thumb, across back of hand, knife held with pommel at little finger, blade end towards thumb.

Put it around your wrist, now I have a handle to pull you around.

Attachment 105046

Marthor 06-10-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1273121)
Not for wrist. for thumb. Hook loop over thumb, across back of hand, knife held with pommel at little finger, blade end towards thumb.

Put it around your wrist, now I have a handle to pull you around.

Attachment 105046

Interesting! Where can I get one like that to try it out?

HockaLouis 06-10-2013 11:24 PM

Lanyard? Paracord!? It's s STRING for cryin' out loud! And they go on rackett ball rackets, not knives...

txpossum 06-10-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1273121)
Not for wrist. for thumb. Hook loop over thumb, across back of hand, knife held with pommel at little finger, blade end towards thumb.

Put it around your wrist, now I have a handle to pull you around.

Attachment 105046

Also a good way to handle the strap on an old fashioned nightstick.

mountainman13 06-11-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1273140)
Lanyard? Paracord!? It's s STRING for cryin' out loud! And they go on rackett ball rackets, not knives...

Lol. I'm assuming that was already partially sarcastic. The uses for paracord in a survival situation rival those of duct tape.

unclebear 06-11-2013 04:47 AM

I don't use lanyards on all my knives only the ones I keep on me when I'm oyt on the boat or in a canoe I also keep a flint and steel on the chord. Theirs tons of youtube videos on how to do the patterns for tec baclets just tweek them a bit and boom possabilites are endless. You could have alot of paracord with a flint and steel along with your knife or just a cool looking lanyard.

kfox75 06-11-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1272978)
550 cord is easy enough to get hands on. Directions for making anything you would possible want out of it are on YouTube.
Personally I'm not a big fan of the lanyard. I prefer to wrap my handles.

Same here. If I get a fixed blade with a skeletal handle I will weave the 550 cord through the handle. I gives a better grip and if it is taken apart in an emergency, a 6 foot section of 550 cord can be turned into around 40 feet of cordage. With a hollow handled knife, I will put a few feet in the handle, simply because you never know when it will be needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1273190)
Lol. I'm assuming that was already partially sarcastic. The uses for paracord in a survival situation almost rival those of duct tape.

Fixed it for ya. ;) Nothing is a versatile as duct tape, but 550 cord comes pretty close. I can make a water bag out of duct tape, but the 500 cord is not watertight.

gunsmoke11 06-11-2013 06:35 AM

I just like the way it looks, but it can come in handy I guess.
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...1010162_01.jpg
http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...1010163_01.jpg


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.