You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Which kukri would you rather use for self defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3504 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the info. That'd be an awesome shtf blade!
Go here and look around. You can design your own and they will make it to spec in about 4 to 6 weeks.

http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

Ours are spec'd at an 18" blade, six inch handle and weigh in at about 1260 grams (about 2.75 pounds of steel and bone handle). I had a Cold Steel Carbon V version a few years ago and I would take this one over that knock off any day of the week.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 06-18-2012 at 02:28 AM. Reason: spell'un an stuf

Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #12

Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have one made by my mentors son. Its made out of a 35 gallon drum ends he folded together w a hammer and his forge. Its got a 16" blade w a 6.5" handle. Its " thick and weighs 2.5 lbs. The grips are made from cape Buffalo calf bone. It will shear through a car door like butter and split an oak 4x4 14" long like its nothing. That's hitting it on the end corner to corner diagonally.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Go here and look around. You can design your own and they will make it to spec in about 4 to 6 weeks.

http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

Ours are spec'd at an 18" blade, six inch handle and weigh in at about 1260 grams (about 2.75 pounds of steel and bone handle). I had a Cold Steel Carbon V version a few years ago and I would take this one over that knock off any day of the week.

JD
2.75 pounds!? That's nearly a sacrificial! I'd probably have to tinker with a few first to decide on a spec.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
I have one made by my mentors son. Its made out of a 35 gallon drum ends he folded together w a hammer and his forge. Its got a 16" blade w a 6.5" handle. Its " thick and weighs 2.5 lbs. The grips are made from cape Buffalo calf bone. It will shear through a car door like butter and split an oak 4x4 14" long like its nothing. That's hitting it on the end corner to corner diagonally.
I guess there really is a mystique about them!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #15

Liked 863 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo

Damn skippy. Iv cut elks heads off w mine and sheared the legs off above the elbow joint w just one swing. On a different note the front sight's working awesomely scratch

Last edited by Marlinman; 06-18-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #16

Quote:
2.75 pounds!? That's nearly a sacrificial! I'd probably have to tinker with a few first to decide on a spec.
Benning and I discussed the intended use and we went heavy with a couple of thoughts in mind.

Regardless of what Walking Dead would have you believe, the human head is one of the hardest bones in the human body. If you can't crack it, or penetrate it with your primary bladed weapon, what use is it carrying it around?

The second is a thin, quick, slicing blade like a rapier or a fillet knife isn't going to give you a wound channel that could cause massive bleed out and when it hits bone, it's neutralized. With a heavy, massive blade, when it hits, it creates a crater down to the bone and sinew, ligaments and hoses like arteries and veins will be gushing blood.

Now, I'm not a small guy. I am over 6 foot and over 240 lbs. Benning is a bit smaller, but he is also more of a heavy lifter given his chosen profession. A machete, with it's thin blade, wobbly, ineffective cutting against serious matter, just isn't going to do you any good in a real fight against a vicious animal or a human.

Our Kukri's were designed on the need to penetrate and leave a massive wound channel. The full tang and spine are roughly 3/8" of an inch thick from tip to base of the handle. Once this thing gets going, it is a juggernaut and it will definitely cause massive trauma that will require immediate medical attention that could include a chipped or even broken bone.

It's a one handed weapon that with training, can be used to deliver a killing blow. Something that can not be done with a thin, light blade like a chef's knife, a fishing knife or a 6" tanto from company X

When you see some more of the tests I have done, the effectiveness of the blade versus various materials, you are going to be contacting Kuhkri House and spec'ing out your own version.

People who have been here for a while know my reviews, they know I put stuff through real world tests and I report what we find out. I also don't buy cheap and in-effective crap or gimmicks. This blade is the real deal. It's heavy, but I can guarantee you, it will cause more damage than you can possible imagine.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 06-18-2012 at 03:12 AM.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 AM   #17

Quote:
These blades are massively spiritual in the Nepalese culture! Every year a ritual is done to insure a healthy harvest, it's a sacrifice of a bull or a goat, by beheading and the chosen one is given a specialized kuhkuri.

The blade is blessed, the Chosen One undergoes a fast and has HUGE pressure on him because if he blows the job, his family - his entire family - is ostracized and basically shunned out of public acceptance.

They take this ceremony VERY seriously and the Kami who creates this blade is always the eldest, most experienced and "Godly" blacksmith in the region.

This video is not easy to watch - but if you want to see the power of one of these blades, here you go....

Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #18

Liked 2530 Times on 1569 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Now that's a KNIFE!!

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #19

Liked 205 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 191

from what I understand the kukri is used by them like a hatchet and a knife. With the thick tang and the heavy weight of the blade it can be used for anything you would really need in the woods that can be done with a hatchet. That being said just from the damn weight of the blade if you had to use it as a fighting knife you would do some serious damage with solid hit on any part of the body, just because it would be like getting hit with a small axe.

I have one that I bought it looks just like the WWII model, and I can vouch that it will split fire wood all day long, and even take off a deer's leg.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Damn skippy. Iv cut elks heads off w money and sheared the legs off above the elbow joint w just one swing. On a different note the front sight's working awesomely scratch
Wow!! Now I want one even more!
Glad it helped My new one is working great as well.