Which kukri would you rather use for self defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Which kukri would you rather use for self defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Which kukri would you rather use for self defense?

Which would you think you'd rather have in a fight? They're all from Himalayan Imports.

16.5" 1.5 lb. Chiruwa Ang Khola
http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/changkh.html

16.5" 1.5 lb. WWII
http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/165inchwwii.html

18" 1.25-1.5 lb. Sirupati
http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/18inchsirupati.html

18" 18 ounce Kobra
http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/18inchkobra.html

15" 1.25 lb. British Army Service
http://yhst-7333098713883.stores.yahoo.net/brarse1.html

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Those you list are huge knives. I have a kukri that my buddy in Afghanistan sent me. He got it in Kathmandu, at the place where they make them, while on a walk-about. This one he sent me is the standard issue Army knife of about 10.5 inches blade length and it is a lot of knife.

The Brit Army Service knife claims to be better quality than that issued to the troops, I dont know what that means. The standard issue blades are forged and ground from truck springs, then heat treated and polished. You can get the same size knife from the Kukri House in Kathmandu for about $40. They are the makers of the official Army knives and where mine came from.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Funny you should ask. I am in the middle of doing a set of tests and a write up on this one that I had made to my own "Western" size designs by a Kami from Kuhkuri House.

This thing is a BEAST!!

kukri-testing-001.jpg   kukri-testing-006.jpg  

Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
Those you list are huge knives. I have a kukri that my buddy in Afghanistan sent me. He got it in Kathmandu, at the place where they make them, while on a walk-about. This one he sent me is the standard issue Army knife of about 10.5 inches blade length and it is a lot of knife.

The Brit Army Service knife claims to be better quality than that issued to the troops, I dont know what that means. The standard issue blades are forged and ground from truck springs, then heat treated and polished. You can get the same size knife from the Kukri House in Kathmandu for about $40. They are the makers of the official Army knives and where mine came from.
Thanks for the info. There are two issues though one is the shipping cost would nearly double the price & two, HI makes lefty scabbards.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

typically the knife is worn on the left side and drawn, crossdraw, with the right hand....maybe that is why.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Funny you should ask. I am in the middle of doing a set of tests and a write up on this one that I had made to my own "Western" size designs by a Kami from Kuhkuri House.

This thing is a BEAST!!
Nice! I'll look forward to the results.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
one is the shipping cost would nearly double the price
Mine was $151 shipped to my door. About $36 of that was shipping. Considering the ability to create damage/havoc with this thing, the dollar cost far out paces other, more commercial knives that can be had here in the States.

For what it's worth....

JD

Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
typically the knife is worn on the left side and drawn, crossdraw, with the right hand....maybe that is why.
Yep, I've stood watch with Gurkhas that wear it that way.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
Nice! I'll look forward to the results.
Early results are the thing is like swinging a broadsword at a match stick house... LOL

Benning and I both got one and did some testing over the past couple of month.
Dry wood is no contest. The big, thick blade bites hard and deep, even cross grain, and the full tang keeps from transferring much if any vibration to the user. Green bamboo, about the size of a nickel, was whacked in two without a ton of effort. There was a minimal amount of "tearing" on the far edge of the green bamboo, but for penetration and cutting ability it was mute. Clearing a path through basic grass, blackberries and small branches will leave you sweaty, but with an easy to navigate trail.

The steel is very basic, as is tradition. They basically pull leaf springs from old cars and trucks, heat and pound the crap out of them to form the shape. As such you have to heavily oil the steel to keep it from rusting, but sharpening the steel with just a stone is quite easy. It won't allow you a scalpel edge to perform surgery with, but it will give you an edge that can cut deep and create one hell of a wound channel.

My goal is to get a pig head again and test the ability of the blade to get to the brain as would be needed in a zombie situation. If it performs as I expect, I think this thing will be moved right to the head of the class for blades in a SHTF situation.

JD

Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Early results are the thing is like swinging a broadsword at a match stick house... LOL

Benning and I both got one and did some testing over the past couple of month.
Dry wood is no contest. The big, thick blade bites hard and deep, even cross grain, and the full tang keeps from transferring much if any vibration to the user. Green bamboo, about the size of a nickel, was whacked in two without a ton of effort. There was a minimal amount of "tearing" on the far edge of the green bamboo, but for penetration and cutting ability it was mute. Clearing a path through basic grass, blackberries and small branches will leave you sweaty, but with an easy to navigate trail.

The steel is very basic, as is tradition. They basically pull leaf springs from old cars and trucks, heat and pound the crap out of them to form the shape. As such you have to heavily oil the steel to keep it from rusting, but sharpening the steel with just a stone is quite easy. It won't allow you a scalpel edge to perform surgery with, but it will give you an edge that can cut deep and create one hell of a wound channel.

My goal is to get a pig head again and test the ability of the blade to get to the brain as would be needed in a zombie situation. If it performs as I expect, I think this thing will be moved right to the head of the class for blades in a SHTF situation.

JD
Sweet! Thanks for the info. That'd be an awesome shtf blade!