Kukri Experts??????

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Kukri Experts??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Kukri Experts??????

Any Kukri experts out there??? I've got a really cool antique I'd like to get some info if possible. I'll post a pic if anyone can help.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2009, 01:13 AM   #2

i'd say go ahead and post the pics. i dont know much about these but i'm sure somebody here does.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a huge khukuri fan, although I wouldn't consider myself an expert on antique khukuris. The blokes from Himalayan Imports (Himalayan Imports / BirGorkha Khukuri (Nepal)) or Khukuri House (Kukri House - khukuri knives dealer from Nepal run by ex-Gurkha Army) might be able to help you out, or at least point you in the right direction. Both are great places to get a nice khukuri, by the way.

I don't know if it's cool to post links to other forums, so mods feel free to delete the next bit. Over at Knife Forums (Main Index - Knifeforums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the Knife Enthusiast - Powered by FusionBB) they've got a khukuri subforum (called the Khukri Cantina, if I recall correctly) where some really knowledgeable aficionados hang out. Bernard Levine also has a subforum there, he is a true expert on collectibles and antiques, and can probably give you a very precise appraisal.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #4

Default RE: A little more about the Kukri (or Kukris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGonzo11 View Post
Any Kukri experts out there??? I've got a really cool antique I'd like to get some info if possible. I'll post a pic if anyone can help.
1st Rule: If you pull it, you MUST draw blood. That means cutting yourself if no one else is around (it was a way for the Nepalese to keep folks from playing around with them; kind of like our rules about drawing a firearm - draw only to shoot, shoot only to kill).

2nd Rule: Use is primarily with an upward diagonal slash, with the option of a downward follow-through.

I'm not an expert, but I own one. Given the nature of the item, most are probably made for tourists, not for actual use (they are still issued as by the Nepalese, similar to a bayonet).

Look for a Nepalese website (I'm sure there are one or two) and contact them with a picture. They may have markings distinct to regions or villages, indicating where it may have been made.

They would have been used by the Khatri Chetri, the warrior caste/clan of the Nepalese. They may use the initials "KC" after one's name to indicate their clan membership. Sherpa is another such clan; those who live in the high mountain valleys, mostly farmers and herders. They took on the jobs of aiding mountaineers at the beginning of the 20th century; there wasn't a tradition of climbing before that.

The most famous of the KC in recent times was Col. Madan KC, the helicopter pilot who rescued Makalu Gau and Beck Weathers from high off Everest in 1996 (much higher than most thought a helicopter could fly).

Have fun!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #5

Likes Given: 2

Thanks, Franciscomv I sent a few emails out.

Alright here are the Picture links:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/DrGonzo11/P6080208-1.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/DrGonzo11/P6080207.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/DrGonzo11/P6080205.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/DrGonzo11/P6080213.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/DrGonzo11/P6080212.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/DrGonzo11/P6080211.jpg

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I concur with Francisco, Himalayan Imports is incredible.

I would also add Atlanta Cutlery, check the antique section at their site, they carry authentic WW2 Kukris.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hey great pics.

I'm reminded (rather sadly) of the Kukri my dad brought back from Burma, when he was in the British Army during WW2 (as one of the famous "Forgotten 14th Army"). When I was about 12, bastard burglers broke into my parents' house and stole it, along with a grandfather clock from 1700-something that had been passed down in her family. Broke my mother's heart.

But at least they didn't find his medals!

So thx for the pics. Actually his kukri was in pretty good condition considering...and luckily they never found the Skean Dhu (Scottish Highland knife) so we still have that.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I still love me some kukhris.

What, specifically, did you want to know?