... and the knives for the rest of us - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > ... and the knives for the rest of us

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Iv'e got bunch of knives-most of them were given to me by my grandfather-I bought this bad boy for $20-I wonder what its purpose is? My favorite is my Schrade Golden Spike though.

wwi-trenchknife.jpg  

Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #62

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Does it look like this when folded?

It was a pretty common German hunting knife pattern, the idea was to have a short knife for skinning and a longer one, with a guard, to finish off wounded game.

The ones I've seen were all pretty well made, with nice stag handles and excellent walk and talk. I own two, one that I got from my grandfather and another one I bought at an antique shop. They are nice as collection pieces, but I wouldn't use them. They seem to just have all the disadvantages of a folding knife with the size of a fixed blade knife.

I've hunted all my life, I worked as a hunting guide until mid 2008. Boar and mountain lion knife hunting was sort of my specialty. So this is one of the very few times that I know what I'm talking about. Folding knives just get gunk everywhere when you've got to work on several animals. And if you're going to finish off a wounded animal, or to use the knife as your main hunting weapon, you really want a full tang knife. Plus the swing guard on these knives REALLY hurts when you've got to stab something like a boar.
Yes, that is the knife, mine is exactly like it, appreciate it, it does seem to hold a good edge,and that is what I use as a field knife, never used it opened up, used it closd as a skinning knife and a throat bleeder, never had a problem using it for that, once again thanks for the info.

Layton

Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #63

Benchmade 520 combo blade.

Benchmade AFO 1 combo blade.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #64

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaBee671 View Post
Benchmade 520 combo blade.

Benchmade AFO 1 combo blade.

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #65

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sorry I've neglected this for awhile.

So While I'm waiting for the price to come down on the Cold Steel Spartan (damn J.D.), I picked up the Tanto spike at a gun show while restocking my ninja gear.

For those that don't know me, I love to mock Lynn Thompson and his Cold Steel promo videos. On one hand, they're the corniest things I've ever seen. Lynn stabs a car hood with the knife, cuts a silver dollar in half with the knife, and then cuts a slab of beef in half with the knife.

They must barbecue daily at the Cold Steel offices.

On the other hand, his knives actually do these things.

This one is no exception. I paid $36, they can be had cheaper. The spine of this thing is THICK. I'm gonna do some field abuse testing, but I'm already reasonably sure of what the results will be.

The grind is such that the edge is almost invisible, but it's there. You can literally shave with this thing out of the box. When I walk the dog, people ask if the owner has mange, with all the bare spots on my forearms.

The spike series comes in a variety of blade styles, I'm tempted to collect them all.

cold-20steel-20cs53ct.jpg  

Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #66

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I carry a Tokyo Spike often as a back-up weapon. It's not a great utility knife since the edge geometry wasn't designed for that. It will do fine for shallow cuts, but due to its narrow, thick blade it will not work well for slicing. The handle isn't that great for extended use either.

I've got other knives that outperform it as a cutting tool, but it's still a great choice for a defensive pocket fixed blade. It's light enough to be carried comfortably in light pants, but it's also got enough blade to get the job done.

I'm not a fan of Cold Steel's promotional DVDs, but I do think some of their knives are a great value. Yesterday a group of knife collector friends got together to celebrate a birthday and we ran some goofy knife tests, we had a CS Bushman (really cheap ugly knife) and a CS Ghurka Kukri, and they held up as well as other much more expensive knives. While I'm not about to toss my nice customs out with the garbage, I will add one of those Bushmen knives to some of my tool kits.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #67

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Nice addition Benning. If you are ever trapped in a room guared by cardboard silhouettes, you have the right company in your hand.

Very nice choice and for $36, you can hardly beat it. Looking forward to your field tests...

JD

Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 AM   #68

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Gerber Paraframe II.

Overall Length: 8.27"
Blade Length: 3.53"
Closed Length: 4.8"
Weight: 4.2 oz.
Lock Mechanism: Frame-lock
Blade Style: Clip Point
Blade Material: High Carbon Stainless
Blade Type: Serrated
Handle Material Stainless Steel
Opening Style: One-handed opening
Price: $42.00

I'm on my second one, only because I lost my first. I beat the crap out of this knife and it keeps going. The hex head screws holding the frame together came lose once (after about a year and a half of heavy use) but I fixed that with liquid loctite.
I have this same knife without the serrated edge, and ive cut a lot of stuff and the blade stays sharp. I bought this for 24 bucks at walmart I believe, and have abused it for about 3 years and its still a good knife.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

so here is a couple of knifes that are priced ok and have stood up to anything i have thrown at them, the classic but capable buck 110 folder, the gerber gator fine edge clip point made in portland Overall Length: 8.5"
Blade Length: 3.76"
Closed Length: 4.96"
Weight: 5.4 oz.
Lock Mechanism: Lock back
Blade Material: 420HC Stainless Steel
Blade Type: Fine
Handle Material Glass-filled nylon with Gator Grip overmold
Sheath Material: Ballistic nylon

and as far as big knifes go cant go wrong with a ka-bar, if they were good enough for my grand dad in ww2 there good enough for me!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #70

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
so here is a couple of knifes that are priced ok and have stood up to anything i have thrown at them, the classic but capable buck 110 folder, the gerber gator fine edge clip point made in portland Overall Length: 8.5"
Blade Length: 3.76"
Closed Length: 4.96"
Weight: 5.4 oz.
Lock Mechanism: Lock back
Blade Material: 420HC Stainless Steel
Blade Type: Fine
Handle Material Glass-filled nylon with Gator Grip overmold
Sheath Material: Ballistic nylon

and as far as big knifes go cant go wrong with a ka-bar, if they were good enough for my grand dad in ww2 there good enough for me!
I have heard exceptional things about the buck 110, ill find one eventually on ebay to try for myself.