... and the knives for the rest of us - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

... and the knives for the rest of us

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1463 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I wonder why no one has mentioned the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

This is the one I used to carry everywhere.
... and the knives for the rest of us - Other Weapons
... and the knives for the rest of us - Other Weapons Dan, that's all they let you carry in Mess-of-2-$hits? ... and the knives for the rest of us - Other Weapons

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #52

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
... and the knives for the rest of us - Other Weapons Dan, that's all they let you carry in Mess-of-2-$hits?

Only if I leave the blades with the factory edge. No aftermarket sharpening. More than one blade is considered high capacity, so mine is a hard to find pre-ban.

And I corrected myself. I have one of these... with a pair of scissors. They discontinued it I think.

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 04-27-2009 at 01:38 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #53

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts

I think you had the same one I did the super tinker. It got stolen by a person in my platoon at Ft. Hood he also stole some other stuff from me as well.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #54

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Only if I leave the blades with the factory edge. No aftermarket sharpening. More than one blade is considered high capacity, so mine is a hard to find pre-ban.

And I corrected myself. I have one of these... with a pair of scissors. They discontinued it I think.
The one in the picture is a Camper, but if it's just like that one but has scissors as well, it's a Huntsman (and it's not discontinued).

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #55

Liked 1463 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Now that's funny right there!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #56

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread.

Newest addition to the >$200 knife collection.

Kershaw Blur

Steel: Sandvik 13C26 stainless-steel
Handle: 6061-T6 anodized aluminum with Trac-Tec inserts
Blade Length: 3 3/8 in. (8.6 cm)
Closed Length: 4 1/2 in. (11.3 cm)
Weight: 4.2 oz.

Price: $100 advertised, bought for $60 on clearance.

Feels fantastic in my hand, very grippy. Super sharp out of the box - sharp enough to shave with. Lightweight but still feels rugged. Recommended for everyday use-not a safe-queen.

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 07-02-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #57

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How 'bout sub $50 knives...

No high dollar knives for me...at least until after the recession. For just walking around and doing regular dude chores. I've got two knives that I use all the time and one knife that a mover "forgot to give me back".

Of course, the one I didn't get back is the one I really like. It's a the Buck MiniBuck 425. It's small, but has a useful blade. It keeps an edge nicely. It's got a very contemporary skeletonized look. It's thin and comfortable in your pocket. Mine was American made and it was cheap!

Buck 425 MiniBuck Folding Knife Review - Associated Content

My other el cheapo knife does a decent job, too. It's a Case Mini Black Horn. It's just a blade and a no-frills handle. But, it cuts well, it's American-made and it fits the pocket well, too. It's a very plain jane knife, but Case will tart it up with Brooks & Dunn logo or something and sell it to you for $20 more.

The Case Mini Blackhorn Pocket Knife - An Inexpensive Pocket Knife Made in America - Associated Content

In a recent move, I found my Gerber Suspension Multi-tool extremely useful. I was able to use the screwdriver blades to take things apart and I was able to cut tape and other stuff easily with the blade. The pliers also feel like a real pair of pliers from the tool box.

Knife Review: Gerber Suspension Multi-Tool - Associated Content

Of course, if I've got to be a Macho, Macho, Man, I've got my camouflage Smith & Wesson folder. It's a cool knife to play around with and carry from time to time.

Knife Review: Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Folding Knife (Model CK6CH) - Associated Content

That's pretty much my knife inventory for now. I'd like to get a K-Bar knife sometime. But, that's on hold for a bit.

Last edited by GatorDude; 07-16-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #58

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a knife, it is not a pocket knife, it is a scabbard knife, it is a war trophy.The blade itself is about 18" long, it has a lock to keep it open or closed,when closed it has about 9" still showing, when pulled, you depress the lock and with a flick of the wrist it swings out and locks in place. The only name on it anywhere is Solingen on the blade. I have only used it as a hunting knife, used to carry it in the car with me,but now is only for hunting, has any one seen what I described? I take it that the blade is German Steel of some sort, the handles are bone.

Layton

Old 07-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #59

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Does it look like this when folded?

It was a pretty common German hunting knife pattern, the idea was to have a short knife for skinning and a longer one, with a guard, to finish off wounded game.

The ones I've seen were all pretty well made, with nice stag handles and excellent walk and talk. I own two, one that I got from my grandfather and another one I bought at an antique shop. They are nice as collection pieces, but I wouldn't use them. They seem to just have all the disadvantages of a folding knife with the size of a fixed blade knife.

I've hunted all my life, I worked as a hunting guide until mid 2008. Boar and mountain lion knife hunting was sort of my specialty. So this is one of the very few times that I know what I'm talking about. Folding knives just get gunk everywhere when you've got to work on several animals. And if you're going to finish off a wounded animal, or to use the knife as your main hunting weapon, you really want a full tang knife. Plus the swing guard on these knives REALLY hurts when you've got to stab something like a boar.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #60

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I see we have a knife thread here. An unexpected thing happened to me today.

I was out today and decided to stop at the local Army/Navy Place that was having a 30% off sale last week when I was there. They are moving to a new store and are trying to get rid of stuff. So today they got 40% off signs up out front. I was not going to stop, but what the heck. Mostly the same stuff as last week. So I am walking out and I go by the knife case and there are 2 K-Bars there. I said to the cute young girl behind the counter...."you didn't have the K-Bars last week" and she said "they just brought them in from the other store."

I figured they were knock-off's but asked to look at one. It was the longer one with the USMC logo and made in Olean, NY with the leather sheaths and in the box with paperwork.........hmmmmmmmmm......how much with the discount??? Long story short.....I bought both of them for $75.59 total out the door with tax. Now I am no knife officionado but I know these sell for more than that each I think she made a mistake and I know they are $80-90 or so each. I don't think that cute young girl knew what they were when she priced them. I will give one to my Son and keep the other.

They are not expensive knives to begin with as far as knives go. So ya'all can laugh at me now but I don't know anyone that would want to get stuck with one.

OC