Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > ... and the knives for the rest of us

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Did anyone watch Heroes tonight?

Did you see the knife Emile Danko (Zeljko Ivanek) used to sever the basilar artery of Syler (Zachary Quinto [Spock?]) in tonight's show?

Name:  Emile Danko Syler.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  3.2 KB

It was a Kershaw Shallot, assisted opening model 1840, a Ken Onion design.

This outstanding knife can, with wise shopping, be purchased on eBay for $26 + ship! That is a steal for this made in the US quality knife!

One of my favorite heavy carry folder's. Scary sharp and holds an edge!

Mine is a model 1840ST with the serrated edge.

Key Features:

1. Speedsafe index finger opening
2. Reversible pocket clip
3. Largest of the Chive / Leek family
4. Frame lock

Product Description:

Kershaw knives are made in the USA. The Kersahw Shallot, model 1840, is no different. As the largest member of the Leek-Chive family, the Kershaw Shallot also features the Ken Onion speedsafe index finger opening. One push on the lever on the spine of this knife, and the blade comes flying out in a hurry. If you're wondering what it's like to hold this knife, imagine holding an oversized Leek - very fulfilling, like you've found the knife you've always been looking for.

Technical Specs:

* Blade Material: Sandvik 13C26 stainless steel
* Handle Material: 410 Stainless Steel
* Blade Length - 3.5"
* Closed Length - 4 3/8"
* Length Overall - 7 5/8"
* Weight - 4.2 oz.

1ko1.jpg

1ko2.jpg

1ko3.jpg

A favorite!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-25-2009, 02:33 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Here's some of mine:

A Benchmade Rant by Mel Pardue. It lives in my truck bag.

A Benchmade Snody Activator that lives in the handkerchief drawer. It's plenty stout and well made, but it's just too pretty to use.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's a few more.

A Schrade Uncle Henry folding hunter that was my EDC for about a million years.

An Hk Nitrous Blitz liner lock that's my EDC now.

Last but not least, a Kershaw Gentlemans Folder with linen Micarta bolsters that I bought more for sentiment than practicality. (I'm old enough to remember when Micarta was the new high tech/space age deal )

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-25-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #44

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

CA357, that Kershaw's gentleman folder is a fantastic knife, I've got one and love it. It's a real sleeper in Kershaw's lineup. It's smooth opening, has excellent blade steel and the fit and finish is really good. Plus it's so slim that it dissapears into a shirt pocket.

The latest addition to my EDC rotation is a Benchmade 943. I ordered it by mistake when buying knives for my store and I kept it for myself. At first I wasn't very impressed with it, compared to other Benchmade knives I own, but after a couple of days of carrying it I'm starting to love it. The texture they achieved on the handle is nice (I don't usually like metal handled knives), size is just perfect with enough blade for almost anything yet compact enough to be VERY pocket friendly. The blade steel (S30V) and axis lock are great, too.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I knew you had good taste.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 AM   #46

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Anyone watch Flashpoint last night?

One of the BGs used a Spyderco Civilian C12G to threaten the hostage.

g10c12g.jpg

I think I remember chopkick saying he had one of these.

MSRP $269.95 but I have been following this knife on eBay. They are typically selling for ~150$.

Spyderco Civilian G-10 Serrated C12G

length overall 9 3/16" (233 mm)
blade length 4 1/8" (105 mm)
blade steel VG-10
length closed 5 3/16" (132 mm)
cutting edge 3 3/4" (95 mm)
weight 4.75 oz (134 g)
hole diameter 15/32" (12 mm)
blade thickness 1/8" (3 mm)
handle material G-10

In the 1990s Spyderco was approached by a specialized branch of U.S. law enforcement about making a knife for their undercover agents. These plain-clothes LEOs found themselves in situations where they often could not carry a firearm but carrying a knife was not a problem. Most had no formal training in self-defense tactics or MBC but as a last resort could use a blade to protect or extricate themselves from a life-threatening situation. This was how the Civilian model came to be.

The Civilian has a patented reverse "S" blade that's intended to be used like an oversized claw. The tip is ground to an ultra-thin profile. Deeply curved and full at the belly, the VG-10 hollow-ground blade excels in slicing and is available fully SpyderEdged. Because of its distinctly specialized features it is not intended or designed for general utility or everyday use. Curved in all the right places for ergonomic use and retention of the knife, the handle is black G-10. Mounted for tip-down carry with a custom curved black clip, the knife rides deeply and unobtrusively in a pocket. One of the most specialized CLIPITS in the Spyderco line-up, the Civilian is available in limited quantities.

I do not own this knife but it is on my 'must have' list.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Interesting knife.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #48

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I wonder why no one has mentioned the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

This is the one I used to carry everywhere.

Id like to get one of these though. But I can't justify spending $245 on that instead of a "JD worthy" knife.

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 04-26-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #49

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I love SAKs! If you like them you ought to check out www.sosakonline.com it's a group that got started from Knifeforums.com. There's a guy called Tim who has great prices on all sorts of SAKs.

No matter what else I carry, there's always a trusty SAK in my pocket (and a multitool in my backpack). Lately I've been using a silver tech Hunstman, it's one of my favourite models since it has a nice balance of tools and size.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm not sure why I thought I used to carry the Spartan. I dug it out of a box just to check and its the Camper.