Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > ... and the knives for the rest of us

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
What's wrong JD,they're just jealous of you! Hell,so am I. I have a couple of nice knives,but I'm cheap(wise),and have been lucky enough to get some great deals on some of the knives I have. I see some things that I would love to own,but then,what good are they if they just set in a safe or display-unused.So I just try to limit myself on those items.

So,just enjoy what you can afford,and for those that can have the nicer toys I'll just be jealous,you lucky bastards. THB

Thanks brother - that takes a bit of the sting out of the bite... I am not trying to be an elitist here, merely someone who has purchased ""X product with "X" result....

Appreciate the the back up....

JD

Old 04-06-2009, 04:02 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thanks brother - that takes a bit of the sting out of the bite... I am not trying to be an elitist here, merely someone who has purchased ""X product with "X" result....

Appreciate the the back up....

JD
Before anyone gets the idea that this is a J.D. bashing thread, allow me to state that the best always have style. If you have $450 to drop on a first edition custom, and you want it, by all means, have at it.

Personally, when I grow up, I wanna be J.D. The man knows what he likes, works for it, and gets it.

This is a thread for the guy that goes to the super sports shop, and sees a wall of knives, often with famous names attached, and takes home a piece of doo doo.

Most gun manufacturers now have a line of knives too, and often times they should stick to guns. What possesses Walther or Mossberg to jump in the knife world, I don't know.

And secretly, I am jealous of J.D.'s 1911s so this is revenge.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #23
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

[QUOTE=Benning Boy;91417]
Most gun manufacturers now have a line of knives too, and often times they should stick to guns. What possesses Walther or Mossberg to jump in the knife world, I don't know.

Benning Boy,I almost sent Canebrake a photo of my Colt Sarengeti Guthook just to rile him up. On one side of the blade is Colt's trademark,and the other side says Made In China. Now How and Why would Colt let a Chinese knife company make a knife with their name on it.

JD should get a big laugh out of this!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Txhillbilly;91446]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post

Benning Boy,I almost sent Canebrake a photo of my Colt Sarengeti Guthook just to rile him up. On one side of the blade is Colt's trademark,and the other side says Made In China. Now How and Why would Colt let a Chinese knife company make a knife with their name on it.

JD should get a big laugh out of this!
By all means, post your review of that Chinese Colt!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #25

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Benning Boy,I almost sent Canebrake a photo of my Colt Sarengeti Guthook just to rile him up. On one side of the blade is Colt's trademark,and the other side says Made In China. Now How and Why would Colt let a Chinese knife company make a knife with their name on it. JD should get a big laugh out of this!
Quote:
By all means, post your review of that Chinese Colt!
Txhillbilly did you buy the Colt knife because it was a Colt trademark, it was made in china or it was an acceptable quality for the asking price?

A Txhillbilly quote: “I have a couple of nice knives, but I'm cheap (wise), and have been lucky enough to get some great deals on some of the knives I have.”

My guess is that the country of origin was anecdotal and you are still pleased with your purchase.

So am I:

Name:  1coltskinner.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  1china.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  66.5 KB

This is a great knife with a quality sheath that just happen to have been built in china.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Frank Beltrame Stiletto Switchblade

Steels, sizes, weights, lengths vary

Frank is an old school knife guy from Maniago, Italy. IMHO, out of the true Italian knives I've handled, his are the best.

The one I have has a 4" blade, 9" overall. Leaf spring fired, lockup is solid. Handle scales come in a variety of woods and plastics. They also come in lengths that can border on small sword.

Not meant for heavy cutting, this is best suited for defense, and then primarily thrusting. This is by nature of the knifes shape and design, and not the makers fault.

Craftsmanship is superb. When compared to Chinese clones this is even more evident. Rivets on the cheapie are in place of tiny gold screws on the Beltrame.

I paid $45, but the prices vary in regard to the lengths and materials.

If you need a representative piece for a collection, this is the one.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:

And secretly, I am jealous of J.D.'s 1911s so this is revenge.
Ah HAH! The truth shall set you free!!

JD

Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Ah HAH! The truth shall set you free!!

JD
LOL 10 characters!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Spyderco Civilian

Blade-4 1/8"

Overall length-9 3/16"

Weight-4.74 oz

Steel-VG10

If you aren't a knife fighting expert, but need to defend with a knife, meet your baby.

The story goes that this was designed for undercover guys with limited hand to hand training. The knife comes with instructions that state that it isn't meant for utility purposes. It's meant for meat only.

A wicked S curve, nasty serrations for the length of the blade, a needle sharp tip, Spyderco insists it would be hard to kill with this knife, based on design.

Knowing something of anatomy, this knife would reach and split all the major plumbing of the body. Stabbing would prove difficult, but for pure meat cutting power, I've seen nothing on the market that compares.

With the blade made in Seki City in Japan, for defense purposes, this beast is completely reliable. I dropped $200 on mine, with aluminum handles. They now come with G10 handles as well, and can be had for $180.

If you can't afford Jedi equipment like some folks, this is as close to a lightsaber as you can get.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #30
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Canebrake,I was just joking about the China thing. I only bought the knife because I have a thing for nice wood,and it has some beautiful Birdseye/Burl Maple handles on it. There is a photo in my knife thread. I really don't care for Guthook knives,and don't really look at the brand or country of origin as a selling point,as long as it is a good quality steel and the workmanship is nice.
This knife will just be displayed and not used,so it doesn't matter,but I will say it is a well built knife with decent steel.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club