Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > ... and the knives for the rest of us

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default ... and the knives for the rest of us

The world is divided into 2 types of knives. Knives J.D. can afford, and the sub $200 knife category.

I have many sub $200 knives. I plan to use this thread to review a bunch of different makes, models, and manufacturers.

Please feel free to jump in and share your experience with these, or if you have a favorite, post a review.

I tend to buy a new one, abuse it beyond warranty, and if it survives, I get another for the zombie invasion.

The only criteria is that you wouldn't catch J.D. with one of these.

Let me try a couple, and we'll see how it goes.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
The world is divided into 2 types of knives. Knives J.D. can afford, and the sub $200 knife category.
I have many sub $200 knives. I plan to use this thread to review a bunch of different makes, models, and manufacturers.
Please feel free to jump in and share your experience with these, or if you have a favorite, post a review.
I tend to buy a new one, abuse it beyond warranty, and if it survives, I get another for the zombie invasion.
The only criteria is that you wouldn't catch J.D. with one of these.
Let me try a couple, and we'll see how it goes.
Well? Name:  742_beating.gif
Views: 358
Size:  2.4 KB

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Benchmade MonoChrome

Overall length-7.37"

Blade-3"

Weight-3.84 oz

Steel-N690 stainless

After listening to you guys rave about Benchmades, I had to try one. I found this one at Gander Mountain for $50. Could have gotten it cheaper online, but with shipping, worked out about the same.

My first impression was it seemed decent, but I couldn't understand the hoopla. Further research revealed that Benchmade has 4 color coded levels of quality, and this one is at the a$$ end.

Made in Taiwan, the blade was shaving sharp out of the box. It opens via thumbstuds, which I dislike since I have big hands, but this opened for me smoothly.

Lock up is solid, considering the lock is a handle scale that bends inward when the blade is fully deployed. I've never liked this style of lock, but this one seems solid.

Cut pine and cardboard. These materials are rough on an edge, and this one dulled quickly. After 20 minutes on a stone, sharp again. After I shape it the way I want, resharpening shouldn't take long. Drop point is useful for multiple tasks.

Overall, not bad, but makes me want a U.S. Benchmade.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:03 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Give a man a minute. Damn.

Hey your Av, is that the infamous you vs. J.D. pistol?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Give a man a minute. Damn.

Hey your Av, is that the infamous you vs. J.D. pistol?
Yep, U bet!

1mirror.jpg

1holster.jpg

IWB = Cheap Thrill!!

fenrirholster.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 04-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Simply gorgeous.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Simply gorgeous.
Thanks bro.

Hey is this the knife your post is about?

mcd.jpg

mcp.jpg

Or did you get the plain blade?

- orangello

Old 04-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yep, that's it. I got mine in plain.

Not great, but not junk, either. My big knocks on this one are the lock system and edge retention.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Spyderco-Byrd Crossbill

Overall length-7 5/8"

Blade-3 7/16"

Steel-8Cr13MoV

Weight-5.7oz

Spyderco contracts a line of made in China knives known as the Byrd series. They're meant to be decent quality knives in an affordable range. Gone is the signature opening hole, replaced with what they describe as a comet shaped hole.

This one goes for about $20. A false edged hawkbill blade really only serves one purpose for me, and that's defense. I'm told commercial fishermen like this blade for cutting rope, as it grabs the rope and the blade doesn't slip off.

The Boye Dent lock up is solid enough. Not shaving sharp out of the box, it still comes with a better than decent edge. Opening is stiff, and takes some practice.

If you have some feel for karambit based knife attacks, this knife is worthwhile. Might even be useful for electricians. Or commercial fishermen.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The Opinel

This comes in a variety of steels, lengths, weights, etc.

For someone interested in starting a collection, this is probably the go-to knife, simply for the price range. Starting at about $8, you can't go wrong.

These things have an exhaustive history. All the markings on them have an historical significance, There's actually a pretty accurate Wikipedia article on them. Unless you love history, and wanted to know all there was to know about the Savoie Dukedom, the markings that matter most to us are INOX, which indicates stainless, and the number indicated on the collar, which indicates the size.

These knives were originally sized 1 through 13, but 1 and 11 have been discontinued, leaving 2 through 10, and 12 and 13.

Carbon steel ones are harder to find, and a variety of woods are used for the handles. The larger models have a sort of barrel on the collar, which you twist to lock.

These are not tactical-survival-mall ninja knives. They are more Euro weenie, take your girl picnic-pick wild mushroom knives. But they take an edge, and you owe it to yourself to own just one.