Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife: Weapon or tool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Knife: Weapon or tool?

Do you consider a knife to be primarily a weapon or a tool? I'm not talking about a specific make or model, but speaking broadly what, to you, is the primary function of a knife.

To me the answer is obviously a tool. I use my knife for a myriad of tasks, and not one, to date, has involved using it as a weapon. Now, my edc's are all capable of being used in self defense, but fortunately the need hasn't arisen.

I guess my point to this is that when I buy a new knife I put every day functionality above Rambo-ism (Unless I am buying a knife specifically FOR the purpose of self defense, which I sometimes do in the grip of some macho apocolypse fantasy -- and, in my saner moments, I realize that even in the midst of a zombie infesetation during a grid meltdown caused by an emp pulse while in the grip of a super flu epidemic, a knife will still be primarily used as a tool. Have to open those MRE's with something.)

The qualities I look for? First is material -- has to be quality steel with a good heat treatment. I find it incredible that a lot of people buy knifes without knowing what type of steel the blade is made of (and I mean the specific steel, not generic "stainless" or "carbon", which terms are so broad as to be meaningless. Next is size and shape -- is it suitable for it's intended purpose? Am I buying it for brushcraft use, skinning, chopping, what? Then ergonomics -- it has to feel good in my hand.

So . . . when you go to buy a knife, what standards do you use to choose the one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

For me it's a tool

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 04-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Personally I think all weapons are tools to one degree or another. A hammer is a tool that is often used as a weapon. Any knife can be used as a weapon even if the primary use is as a tool.

That being said when I have a knife made it's usually with only one purpose in mind since I dislike compromise. That's why I have many of them.

Last edited by Wambli; 04-26-2013 at 02:33 PM.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Both, I got my two front teeth knocked out at 19 y.o. I have had caps on them since 1979, and don't like to use my front teeth for ripping open stuff the way i used to, so I've carried a pocket knife virtually everyday since then. Nowadays, I carry a nice thin, skeletized "tactical" locking knife.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 04-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1120 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 523

The designation is in the intent. If you show people a hammer and ask the same question, they all say, "tool." But if they are attacked by a aggressor, and it's in their hand, they will not fail to defend themselves with it because it's a "tool."

I have carried a Cold Steel Voyager for decades. It's a ~3" serrated blade and it has been used for everything from slicing tires to peaches to reins to save a horse and seat belts to save a human. Show its black handle and serrated blade to anyone and they would claim"weapon," but it has never once in its couple of decades been used as anything but a tool.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

Default Who's your daddy..............

I have a shovel thats a tool, here in terrebonne parrish it was used as a weapon and sent a man to prison for murder. The victim was hit in the mouth and died of lock jaw........True story...........All my knives are tools, untill someone pushes the wrong button.................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 04-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 135

It's a tool. Always has been but I recently learned that others don't feel the same way. Just read my story here to see what I mean.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/scared-people-77730/

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #8

Liked 114 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's a tool until you stick someone with it. Then it's a weapon

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1349 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

Default lmfao.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan308 View Post
It's a tool until you stick someone with it. Then it's a weapon
I stuck my sister with a fork for eating my only piece of birthday cake, do dat count...........i buried that thing to the bone...............lol.........Then she got her but whipped by my father............Can I get an amen..............lol............Ahhhh........ The weapon of choice............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #10

Liked 360 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Yeah I accidentally stabbed a friend one time with a Navy Officers sword while practicing for a ceremony. Caught her right in the hand. Drew blood. Pretty good for a sword that doesn't have an edge and a very dull tip.

That's the only time I can think of that I have ever "stabbed" anyone else with a blade. Myself however...... TOTALLY different story there

All in all, knifes are generally tools. I carry a leatherman multitool and a folding pocket knife on me almost every day.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"