Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Knife: Weapon or tool? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/knife-weapon-tool-89609/)

txpossum 04-26-2013 02:22 PM

Knife: Weapon or tool?

Do you consider a knife to be primarily a weapon or a tool? I'm not talking about a specific make or model, but speaking broadly what, to you, is the primary function of a knife.

To me the answer is obviously a tool. I use my knife for a myriad of tasks, and not one, to date, has involved using it as a weapon. Now, my edc's are all capable of being used in self defense, but fortunately the need hasn't arisen.

I guess my point to this is that when I buy a new knife I put every day functionality above Rambo-ism (Unless I am buying a knife specifically FOR the purpose of self defense, which I sometimes do in the grip of some macho apocolypse fantasy -- and, in my saner moments, I realize that even in the midst of a zombie infesetation during a grid meltdown caused by an emp pulse while in the grip of a super flu epidemic, a knife will still be primarily used as a tool. Have to open those MRE's with something.)

The qualities I look for? First is material -- has to be quality steel with a good heat treatment. I find it incredible that a lot of people buy knifes without knowing what type of steel the blade is made of (and I mean the specific steel, not generic "stainless" or "carbon", which terms are so broad as to be meaningless. Next is size and shape -- is it suitable for it's intended purpose? Am I buying it for brushcraft use, skinning, chopping, what? Then ergonomics -- it has to feel good in my hand.

So . . . when you go to buy a knife, what standards do you use to choose the one?

rhyno13 04-26-2013 02:25 PM

For me it's a tool

Wambli 04-26-2013 02:26 PM

Personally I think all weapons are tools to one degree or another. A hammer is a tool that is often used as a weapon. Any knife can be used as a weapon even if the primary use is as a tool.

That being said when I have a knife made it's usually with only one purpose in mind since I dislike compromise. That's why I have many of them.

eatmydust 04-26-2013 02:31 PM

Both, I got my two front teeth knocked out at 19 y.o. I have had caps on them since 1979, and don't like to use my front teeth for ripping open stuff the way i used to, so I've carried a pocket knife virtually everyday since then. Nowadays, I carry a nice thin, skeletized "tactical" locking knife.

TekGreg 04-26-2013 02:34 PM

The designation is in the intent. If you show people a hammer and ask the same question, they all say, "tool." But if they are attacked by a aggressor, and it's in their hand, they will not fail to defend themselves with it because it's a "tool."

I have carried a Cold Steel Voyager for decades. It's a ~3" serrated blade and it has been used for everything from slicing tires to peaches to reins to save a horse and seat belts to save a human. Show its black handle and serrated blade to anyone and they would claim"weapon," but it has never once in its couple of decades been used as anything but a tool.

willshoum 04-26-2013 02:35 PM

Who's your daddy..............

I have a shovel thats a tool, here in terrebonne parrish it was used as a weapon and sent a man to prison for murder. The victim was hit in the mouth and died of lock jaw........True story...........All my knives are tools, untill someone pushes the wrong button.................:eek::D

fa35jsf 04-26-2013 02:36 PM

It's a tool. Always has been but I recently learned that others don't feel the same way. Just read my story here to see what I mean.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/scared-people-77730/

Dan308 04-26-2013 02:45 PM

It's a tool until you stick someone with it. Then it's a weapon

willshoum 04-26-2013 03:59 PM

lmfao.............

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan308 (Post 1227732)
It's a tool until you stick someone with it. Then it's a weapon

I stuck my sister with a fork for eating my only piece of birthday cake, do dat count...........i buried that thing to the bone...............lol.........Then she got her but whipped by my father............Can I get an amen..............lol............Ahhhh........ The weapon of choice............;)

fa35jsf 04-26-2013 04:29 PM

Yeah I accidentally stabbed a friend one time with a Navy Officers sword while practicing for a ceremony. Caught her right in the hand. Drew blood. Pretty good for a sword that doesn't have an edge and a very dull tip.

That's the only time I can think of that I have ever "stabbed" anyone else with a blade. Myself however...... TOTALLY different story there ;)

All in all, knifes are generally tools. I carry a leatherman multitool and a folding pocket knife on me almost every day.