Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > knife that shoots .22 shorts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default knife that shoots .22 shorts

i have an all metal knife that shoots .22 shorts. there are no markings i can see other than the word PATENTED. one side of the knife flips up to insert the round. after you close that you flip open a lever that pushes back down is the trigger. the knife came with a copy of an advertisement that called it a fur trappers knife. for killing game caught in traps. any more info on this knife would be appreciated. thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Welcome to the FT forum Jay. Could you please stop by the Introductions section when ya get a chance and tell us a little about yourself and any firearms interests you may have, so the gang here can give ya a welcome.

Pictures of the knife would really be helpful, but this is what I have Googled, may not be the same manufacture or knife, but it could point you in the right direction for a start.

g.r.a.d. knife gun - .22-caliber knife gun slices, shoots

They seem like pretty neat and very handy knives indeed. They kind of mess up that saying just a little that "You never take a knife to a gun fight."

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 11-30-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

Default found some info

i've found that the knife is called the Huntsman, made by united states small arms co. and retailed for $400. i've attempted to attach some pictures, i've never seen one of these anywhere else or could find much about it on the internet. if anyone else is familiar with it?

p1010327.jpg   p1010334.jpg   p1010335.jpg  

Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That is a very cool-looking pocket knife. I wonder about the legality issues; i've read that pen-guns & some similar items are HIGHLY regulated due to their disguised nature. I don't know if that applies to your knife, but you might not want to carry it into the local BATF office if you want to keep it.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1
It might be considered one of those "gadget" firearms that has to be registered & such. I am not a lawyer, nor do i plan one on TV.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 11-30-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #5

when it was sold you had to send $5 cash or money order to the maker to get one. (according to the copy of the advertisement) wish i could find out more, but i will remember not to try to take it on a plane

correction-
before i stated it retailed for $400. that was wrong. a caption under the ad says, "united states small arms co. .22 caliber knife pistol. about $400. (courtesy jim booker). note: these are illegal in most localities."

- maybe this will help figure out where this copy of the ad came from

Last edited by jaywmu; 11-30-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: oops

Old 11-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Firearms Curiosa by Lewis Winant has a picture of the "Huntsman" knife with original ad on page 126.

Sold by the American Novelty Company in Chicago. Ad is from the
March 1922 issue of Popular Science Monthly.

1922 retail was $4.95 plus postage.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #7

thanks bill. its amazing the kinds of information people can dig up.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywmu View Post
thanks bill. its amazing the kinds of information people can dig up.
Yup. Interesting to see "the way things were" too.

Sold by a company in CHICAGO. The anti-gun capital of modern America.
Delivered by the US Mail, and "send no money, just pay the postman".
$4.95 was a pretty hefty price tag in 1922. 25¢ an hour was good wages.
So that little knife/pistol was a days pay or more.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #9

Default Huntsman

I know someone that has a huntsman. It is actually plated with German silver and patented by the U.S. small arms co. between the 20's-30's and yes it was manufactured in chicago. These are extremely rare. To the lagallity issue well I have herd from police officers mouth that he did not think that this was illegal however everyone else I have talked to says they are. I myself am trying to find out if you need a class 3 to own one or if you cannot own one at all. Any info would be appreciatted.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #10

Default huntsman knife

I also would like to know more about the huntsman knife. I remember reading a paper on these about 30 years ago. the info here is as I remember ,two knives 3" defender and 4" huntsman I think it said there were only about 25 of these made