Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   knife that shoots .22 shorts (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/knife-shoots-22-shorts-20577/)

jaywmu 11-30-2009 12:15 PM

knife that shoots .22 shorts

i have an all metal knife that shoots .22 shorts. there are no markings i can see other than the word PATENTED. one side of the knife flips up to insert the round. after you close that you flip open a lever that pushes back down is the trigger. the knife came with a copy of an advertisement that called it a fur trappers knife. for killing game caught in traps. any more info on this knife would be appreciated. thanks.

IGETEVEN 11-30-2009 03:58 PM

Welcome to the FT forum Jay. Could you please stop by the Introductions section when ya get a chance and tell us a little about yourself and any firearms interests you may have, so the gang here can give ya a welcome. ;)

Pictures of the knife would really be helpful, but this is what I have Googled, may not be the same manufacture or knife, but it could point you in the right direction for a start.

g.r.a.d. knife gun - .22-caliber knife gun slices, shoots

They seem like pretty neat and very handy knives indeed. They kind of mess up that saying just a little that "You never take a knife to a gun fight." :eek:

Jack

jaywmu 11-30-2009 08:51 PM

found some info

3 Attachment(s)
i've found that the knife is called the Huntsman, made by united states small arms co. and retailed for $400. i've attempted to attach some pictures, i've never seen one of these anywhere else or could find much about it on the internet. if anyone else is familiar with it?

orangello 11-30-2009 09:10 PM

That is a very cool-looking pocket knife. I wonder about the legality issues; i've read that pen-guns & some similar items are HIGHLY regulated due to their disguised nature. I don't know if that applies to your knife, but you might not want to carry it into the local BATF office if you want to keep it.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1
It might be considered one of those "gadget" firearms that has to be registered & such. I am not a lawyer, nor do i plan one on TV.

jaywmu 11-30-2009 09:17 PM

when it was sold you had to send $5 cash or money order to the maker to get one. (according to the copy of the advertisement) wish i could find out more, but i will remember not to try to take it on a plane:)

correction-
before i stated it retailed for $400. that was wrong. a caption under the ad says, "united states small arms co. .22 caliber knife pistol. about $400. (courtesy jim booker). note: these are illegal in most localities."

- maybe this will help figure out where this copy of the ad came from

BillM 11-30-2009 09:24 PM

Firearms Curiosa by Lewis Winant has a picture of the "Huntsman" knife with original ad on page 126.

Sold by the American Novelty Company in Chicago. Ad is from the
March 1922 issue of Popular Science Monthly.

1922 retail was $4.95 plus postage.

jaywmu 11-30-2009 09:36 PM

thanks bill. its amazing the kinds of information people can dig up.

BillM 11-30-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaywmu (Post 192383)
thanks bill. its amazing the kinds of information people can dig up.

Yup. Interesting to see "the way things were" too.

Sold by a company in CHICAGO. The anti-gun capital of modern America.
Delivered by the US Mail, and "send no money, just pay the postman".
$4.95 was a pretty hefty price tag in 1922. 25 an hour was good wages.
So that little knife/pistol was a days pay or more.

hubbsda 02-10-2010 04:28 AM

Huntsman

I know someone that has a huntsman. It is actually plated with German silver and patented by the U.S. small arms co. between the 20's-30's and yes it was manufactured in chicago. These are extremely rare. To the lagallity issue well I have herd from police officers mouth that he did not think that this was illegal however everyone else I have talked to says they are. I myself am trying to find out if you need a class 3 to own one or if you cannot own one at all. Any info would be appreciatted.

sawman101 03-05-2010 07:31 PM

huntsman knife

I also would like to know more about the huntsman knife. I remember reading a paper on these about 30 years ago. the info here is as I remember ,two knives 3" defender and 4" huntsman I think it said there were only about 25 of these made