Knife Sharpener - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife Sharpener

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Rough stone, smooth stone, honing oil, and a leather strap and jeweler's rouge for stropping. I can get a knife FAR sharper with these things than I ever could with a sharpening system.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #12

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt
Rough stone, smooth stone, honing oil, and a leather strap and jeweler's rouge for stropping. I can get a knife FAR sharper with these things than I ever could with a sharpening system.
Ya its possible and I always have to finish out mines edge w my steels

Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #13

Liked 794 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm old, so I use old methods; a stone and oil.
Im not so old, this is how I do it.... My dad taught me to sharpen knifes when I was 6 or 7 and been doing it ever since! (Holy crap I never realized Ive been a sharpener for 20 years!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Why the jewelers rouge? I just use the strop like I would on my straight razor.... Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
That reminds me of my moms favorite, the bottom of any ceramic; plate, bowl, cup or saucer.
You can use the "frosted" edge of a rolled down car window as well....

Last edited by Trez; 10-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #14

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm old, so I use old methods; a stone and oil.
Same. And a leather belt. I shave with a straight razor. I'm not real old though.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #15

I was doing some research not too long ago, knife sharpening is a freakin' art, isn't it?
I think I'm gonna snag the Lansky when I get some cash. Seems like it'd be the easiest way to get my knives sharp

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy589 View Post
I was doing some research not too long ago, knife sharpening is a freakin' art, isn't it?
I think I'm gonna snag the Lansky when I get some cash. Seems like it'd be the easiest way to get my knives sharp
Knife sharpening with a stone, oil, and strop is an art. But it's not an extremely difficult art to learn, is more gratifying (IMHO), and is cheaper (depending on the equipment you buy). I've been sharpening my own knives since I was a child (about 8-10 years old), along with farming implements using files, and my friends knives.

One thing to know though is this, different steels feel different on the stone. Some require more pressure or a finer attention to detail than others. Sharpening one knife, it isn't too hard to find the happy medium for just that one blade.

When I got ticked off at the cost of razors and picked up a straight razor, it took me almost 2 months to get the technique and method down, and to get a good enough edge to shave comfortably.

Now my neighbors, friends and family come to me to have anything sharpened. I don't tell them though, I will never make another man's blade sharper than my own.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Knife sharpening with a stone, oil, and strop is an art. But it's not an extremely difficult art to learn, is more gratifying (IMHO), and is cheaper (depending on the equipment you buy). I've been sharpening my own knives since I was a child (about 8-10 years old), along with farming implements using files, and my friends knives.

One thing to know though is this, different steels feel different on the stone. Some require more pressure or a finer attention to detail than others. Sharpening one knife, it isn't too hard to find the happy medium for just that one blade.

When I got ticked off at the cost of razors and picked up a straight razor, it took me almost 2 months to get the technique and method down, and to get a good enough edge to shave comfortably.

Now my neighbors, friends and family come to me to have anything sharpened. I don't tell them though, I will never make another man's blade sharper than my own.
All the people around here are that way w me also. The dollar a blade charge doesnt bother them either, but yes I do pay more attention to my own steel and get it alot sharper.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #18

I also will not train another man's horse, sight in his rifle, or sleep with his woman. None of them will ever be the same afterwards, for various reasons.
Oh, I wont tune another man's guitar either.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I also will not train another man's horse, sight in his rifle, or sleep with his woman. None of them will ever be the same afterwards, for various reasons.
Oh, I wont tune another man's guitar either.
There is only one other person I will sight in a rifle for and thats my uncle. Thats bc over ther years we have figured out 1/2" high for me is about dead on for him. Funny thing is most people cant get a knife "sharp" again after iv had ahold of it. Does that qualify as job security?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
There is only one other person I will sight in a rifle for and thats my uncle. Thats bc over ther years we have figured out 1/2" high for me is about dead on for him. Funny thing is most people cant get a knife "sharp" again after iv had ahold of it. Does that qualify as job security?
Why yes, yes it does! I'd like to start a little side work business as a sharpener at the local farmer's market, but they already have a guy there who uses machines and gets absolutely no business at all. I wonder how he can afford the gas to drive there.