Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Knife Sharpener (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/knife-sharpener-49580/)

Fatboy589 10-10-2011 04:37 AM

Knife Sharpener

What's up, guys? I've got a Recon 1 from Cold Steel and I need this thing sharpened bad. It held an edge for like, three weeks (I was cutting EVERYTHING) and now it's just dull. I had a Amazon.com: Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener: Home Improvement for awhile and now it doesn't sharpen anything. What would you guys recommend for a knife sharpener?

Marlinman 10-10-2011 07:06 AM

Buy yourself a lansky kit. They give you the perfect angle everytime and they are great. Downside is that they take awhile to get one sharp. All my knives I get them fairly sharp w my lansky then finish out w a coarse steel and a fine titanium rod

Fatboy589 10-10-2011 09:11 AM

Lansky? Alright, sweet. I'll definitely check them out. Any others you'd recommend?

CA357 10-10-2011 03:02 PM

I'm old, so I use old methods; a stone and oil.

Marlinman 10-10-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357
I'm old, so I use old methods; a stone and oil.

Thats an art that most people just dont have anymore it seems like. I still do it to, though the lansky is faster

Poink88 10-10-2011 03:59 PM

Like CA357 I do it freehand but stepped it up a notch and use diamond hone. I use it with water and dish washing liquid, a lot cheaper and easier to clean than oil.

I use the cheap 3 pack from HarborFreight and loved it enough that I bought 2 extra sets. I am still using the 1st set (5 years later). The plastic backing does de-laminate but still works great without it. You can make your own mounting block if you are so inclined.

3 Piece 2'' x 6'' Diamond Hone Blocks

These used to go on sale for $9.99 and you can use 20% coupons on top of that (available online just google it).

These are not the best but works well for the price IMHO.

Marlinman 10-10-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poink88
Like CA357 I do it freehand but stepped it up a notch and use diamond hone. I use it with water and dish washing liquid, a lot cheaper and easier to clean than oil.

I use the cheap 3 pack from HarborFreight and loved it enough that I bought 2 extra sets. I am still using the 1st set (5 years later). The plastic backing does de-laminate but still works great without it. You can make your own mounting block if you are so inclined.

3 Piece 2'' x 6'' Diamond Hone Blocks

These used to go on sale for $9.99 and you can use 20% coupons on top of that (available online just google it).

These are not the best but works well for the price IMHO.

Thats what I use when im sharpening the "kitchen" knives. Aka my fillet knives.

hmh 10-10-2011 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hall's stone and finish up with the internals of a industrial light bulb. (Ceramic)

Poink88 10-10-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 598020)
Thats what I use when im sharpening the "kitchen" knives. Aka my fillet knives.

This is what I use for everything...pocket knives, kitchen knives, hunting knives, machete, cleaver, hatchet, bolo, etc. ;) I keep one in each of my BOB and one in my car.

I can cut paper with any of these when I am done (except the cleaver just because I don't think it is needed).

Poink88 10-10-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmh (Post 598024)
Hall's stone and finish up with the internals of a industrial light bulb. (Ceramic)

That reminds me of my moms favorite, the bottom of any ceramic; plate, bowl, cup or saucer.