Knife shapening tips and products - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife shapening tips and products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #21
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 164 Times on 114 Posts

I use Arkansas wet stones and finished it off with the ceramic innards of an industrial light bulb.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 AM   #22
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Knife shapening tips and products

I have the Lansky, but I also have a Smiths' yellow Grip handled ceramic, and a 4 stone set, also from smiths, with their own oil, but someone told me 3-in-1 is also good on coarse & medium stones, but not fine...no matter I bought 3 cans of smiths 7+ yrs. Ago, and still have 2 full ones plus a little in the 3rd..here is my 3 current most carried.....imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1390888912.891633.jpg

Left to Right: Explorer Night Raider III toothpick, Kershaw Hunter II, Kershaw Blur...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 01-28-2014 at 05:04 AM.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 AM   #23

Liked 337 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I have the Lansky, but I also have a Smiths' yellow Grip handled ceramic, and a 4 stone set, also from smiths, with their own oil, but someone told me 3-in-1 is also good on coarse & medium stones, but not fine...no matter I bought 3 cans of smiths 7+ yrs. Ago, and still have 2 full ones plus a little in the 3rd..here is my 3 current most carried.....Attachment 134480

Left to Right: Explorer Night Raider III toothpick, Kershaw Hunter II, Kershaw Blur...
My experience, FINE stones require saliva.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
My experience, FINE stones require saliva.

I've heard that too, also cooking oil if nothing else is around, even light motor oil..

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 01-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #25

Liked 448 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Crock sticks, mainly because it's the only sharpener I'm any good with.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #26

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2017 Times on 1114 Posts
Likes Given: 5989

The thread lives on! This is good.

I too like the Lansky. Primarily because of the control offered by such a system.

Of importance is the location of the vice to knife. Specifically the fore/aft location.
The length from the guide hole to the edge (hypotenuse) can vary greatly.

Because the distance of the hypotenuse changes, the sine, or angle of the stone changes.
Areas close to the pivot hole will be a wider, or blunter angle, those sharpened farther will have a narrower or sharper angle.

I tend to find the center of the major radius and think it though from there.

I like to have tip/forward radius a bit steeper (narrow / sharper ) than the straighter section nearer the bolster.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I "hobby" work with leather all the time, so I have to keep my knives and awls polished sharp. (my awls will pierce "through and through" the thickest part of your palm with little effort and delayed feeling)

Currently in my tool box to accomplish this purpose you will find.

*Flitz polish *Mothers polish *Jewelers Rouge, red,green and white compounds, and various leather rub pads. (mini strops)

* Wet/Dry sandpaper sheets various grits from 600 to 3000 * 5 gallon paint wooden stir sticks * Mouse pad strips cut to fit stir sticks. and 2 sided sticky tape.

Basically I glue down pieces of mouse pad to a stir stick and dedicate it to a certain grit of wet/dry. I, attach a piece of wet/dry with the sided tape, easy to replace as it dulls. Also, the mouse pad has just enough give to follow the blade angle. (I push the blade "edge away" instead of "edge into" as most do with stones.

When you first start out you can use a sharpie to "color in" your knife angle to use as a gage as you go along.

I always finish with leather stropping..

Become steel or get cut.