Knife shapening tips and products - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife shapening tips and products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
For a much better explaination that I can give, check out "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" for a good discussion on the theory and technique of putting a multi-bevel edge on a knife.

My exact method varies according to the original thickness of the blade, and the angles of the existing bevel(s). However, here's how I usually start.

It will be almost impossible to duplicate the original bevel of most factory edges. Sharpening will involve some minor re-profiling of the blade. Therefore the first sharpening will be the most involved; subsequent touch-ups will take much less effort.

Secure the blade into the clamp (pay attention to the clamp's position -- that is, where the front edge of the clamp is positioned between the edge and the top of the blade. Be consistent with where you clamp, as different positions can slightly change the angle of the grind).

I usually use the second hole from the bottom for my primary bevel (once again, it depends on the individual knife). I generally start out with the medium stone, and make four or five strokes. Then I look and see where the metal is being removed. If this angle goes along with the existing bevel, fine, but usually I am removing metal from the "shoulder" of the existing bevel. If there is a lot of metal to remove, I start out with the course stone, when I am approaching getting a flat "V" bevel, I switch to a medium grit, then fine. With each stone I do about 15-20 strokes on a side, then flip the clamp over and do the same on the other side, then repeat as necessary.

When I have a thin "V" on the edge, put the secondary bevel on by I increasing the angle of the bevel by raising the guide rods one hole (using the third hold from the bottom). I start out with the "fine" grit until I feel a slight burr on the edge. I strop the blade on a piece of leather (I have a couple of razor strops, but the back of a wide leather belt will work) to remove the burr. I then use the ultra fine stone to polish the edge, then strop again.

Others will differ in their techniques, but this is what works for me.
An that sir I why in always ask your opinion! You have been seriously helpful. As I am more of a tactical shooter and self defense guy I have always needed to learn proper knife sharpening. I have several knife fighting techniques and I love to have a razor sharp knife. Usually I am the Glock guy but nowadays I am more of a knife guy. It's quite and effectively carried more concealed and widely over looked by most civis on the street. I hope to never have to use my blade to inflict harm on anyone but its nice to know these things as I get asked about knives a lot and I am just learning the knife game. I am very thankful to you sir. You always give greatly detailed answers and you know your stuff.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #12

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

As stated, others probably have different ideas and techniques. I can only tell you what has worked for me, but thanks for the kind words.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
As stated, others probably have different ideas and techniques. I can only tell you what has worked for me, but thanks for the kind words.
Well I am just being honest sir. I like to take the advice of those who know more than me. And later if I find a different way that works for me ill try it out for a while. But as of now I will be working on finding the best deal on a lansky system.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #14

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I use a whetstone with a coarse side and a fine side. After I get it honed on that, I take it to a really fine whetstone and/or a sharpening rod/tungsten rod. I sharpen a knife until it can shave hairs off my arm. I also like to fill a water bottle or beer can with water, and slice completely through it in one clean swipe. Then it's sharp enough. Some people suggest finishing with a leather strop, however I have yet to use one.

^also, using oil/water on a whetstone is debatable. Some suggest it is better, some say it ruins the stone/edge. I have done it dry and with oil. Both ways seemed to work fine. There are oil and water stones that are made to be used with oil/water.

Last edited by Gizord1; 05-28-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1
I use a whetstone with a coarse side and a fine side. After I get it honed on that, I take it to a really fine whetstone and/or a sharpening rod/tungsten rod. I sharpen a knife until it can shave hairs off my arm. I also like to fill a water bottle or beer can with water, and slice completely through it in one clean swipe. Then it's sharp enough. Some people suggest finishing with a leather strop, however I have yet to use one.

^also, using oil/water on a whetstone is debatable. Some suggest it is better, some say it ruins the stone/edge. I have done it dry and with oil. Both ways seemed to work fine. There are oil and water stones that are made to be used with oil/water.
I couldn't sharpen a needle with a whetstone lol. I wish I had learned how. At this point thought all I use really are Tanto blades and I worry about messing them up. My father in law has a whetstone he never uses. Maybe I will give the spyderco a try and start practicing

Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #16

Default knife sharpening

pratice AND holding the same ANGLE is the key no matter what you use to sharpen the blade, i too like the lansky (diamond embedded) but have used most other system. most will work with practice

Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #17

Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

TXPOSSUM, you are right on the button for working with the Lansky.
I also use a bench stone.
Gizord1
the idea of water and/or oil is to keep the particles of steel and stone ( both wear off in the process) from "loading" up the pores of the stone and causing problems like skips in the edge and such like. I also wash and dry my stones before and after using.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

I use a ceramic rod to keep a fine edge on my knives. Only a leather strap will put a sharper edge on a knife. Most of my knives are hollow ground.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #19

Liked 207 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I use a ceramic rod to keep a fine edge on my knives. Only a leather strap will put a sharper edge on a knife. Most of my knives are hollow ground.
I have used them, but I have not been as happy with the results as when I use a stone. It probably is similar to weapon/tool choice some people are better with A than B and others Are the other way around. A few GOOD systems are out there, mainly it is the individuals technique that is the difference.

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #20

Liked 409 Times on 224 Posts

Ken onion has a awesome sharpener out. It you can always get a lansky 4 stone and a good leather strope with some quality paste.