Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife shapening tips and products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Default Knife shapening tips and products

Again my friends I am asking y'all's opinion on knife sharpening and the tools you use to do so. I commonly use AUS-8 and 8cr13mov steel in my EDC knives. If you have any tips or ideas on how I can refine my blades to like new razor edges please let me know. I use Tanto blades more than anything

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I vary the methods I use depending on the knife and my mood -- however, overall I am a fan of the Lansky systems. I find it puts a very fine edge on a knife relatively quickly.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
I vary the methods I use depending on the knife and my mood -- however, overall I am a fan of the Lansky systems. I find it puts a very fine edge on a knife relatively quickly.
Ah just the man I was hoping to talk to haha. I have read some reviews of the lanskey system that is like 30$. They were some good some bad. What is the exact model you use bud

Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
Ah just the man I was hoping to talk to haha. I have read some reviews of the lanskey system that is like 30$. They were some good some bad. What is the exact model you use bud
I gotten good results with this one. As I mentioned in another post, I find I get much better results putting a secondary bevel on the edge, and the Lansky system makes it easy to bet consistent angles.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #5

Quote:

I gotten good results with this one. As I mentioned in another post, I find I get much better results putting a secondary bevel on the edge, and the Lansky system makes it easy to bet consistent angles.
Ok sir let me ask you this... I have a 15 degree edge from the factory on my EDC knife. What are any tips on using this lansky system to sharpen my baby to razor edge

Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:

And also can you explain to me how to put this secondary bevel on a blade and how that works please. Sorry but you have rapidly become my go to guy on knife questions lol

Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

For a much better explaination that I can give, check out "The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" for a good discussion on the theory and technique of putting a multi-bevel edge on a knife.

My exact method varies according to the original thickness of the blade, and the angles of the existing bevel(s). However, here's how I usually start.

It will be almost impossible to duplicate the original bevel of most factory edges. Sharpening will involve some minor re-profiling of the blade. Therefore the first sharpening will be the most involved; subsequent touch-ups will take much less effort.

Secure the blade into the clamp (pay attention to the clamp's position -- that is, where the front edge of the clamp is positioned between the edge and the top of the blade. Be consistent with where you clamp, as different positions can slightly change the angle of the grind).

I usually use the second hole from the bottom for my primary bevel (once again, it depends on the individual knife). I generally start out with the medium stone, and make four or five strokes. Then I look and see where the metal is being removed. If this angle goes along with the existing bevel, fine, but usually I am removing metal from the "shoulder" of the existing bevel. If there is a lot of metal to remove, I start out with the course stone, when I am approaching getting a flat "V" bevel, I switch to a medium grit, then fine. With each stone I do about 15-20 strokes on a side, then flip the clamp over and do the same on the other side, then repeat as necessary.

When I have a thin "V" on the edge, put the secondary bevel on by I increasing the angle of the bevel by raising the guide rods one hole (using the third hold from the bottom). I start out with the "fine" grit until I feel a slight burr on the edge. I strop the blade on a piece of leather (I have a couple of razor strops, but the back of a wide leather belt will work) to remove the burr. I then use the ultra fine stone to polish the edge, then strop again.

Others will differ in their techniques, but this is what works for me.

Last edited by txpossum; 05-27-2013 at 11:43 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Liked 259 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

Glad to know what a "Lansky" is
Never heard of that

Old 05-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #9

Here and illustration of a primary and secondary bevel:

Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #10

Oh -- one more thing -- CONVEX BLADES, such as Bark River puts on most of their knives -- sharpen differently. Make sure you know what type of edge is on your knife before attempting to sharpen it. A convex blade does not have flat angle, it is sort of rounded on the edge. If you look at it closely you will not see a flat edge on the blade.