knife question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > knife question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default knife question

So where I go to school I can carry my pistol in my vehicle and leave it in the parking lot but can NOT take it out of my vehicle. So I want a knife...but it still has to fall with in the letter of the law

4. I recently purchased a double-edged survival knife. Does Michigan law allow me to carry this in my vehicle?

MCL 750.227 No. A dagger, dirk, stiletto, or double-edged non-folding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, cannot be carried concealed on or about a person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in their own home, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

5. Is it illegal to have a knife with a blade over 3 inches in my possession?

MCL 750.226 No. Michigan law specifies that a person, with intent to use the knife unlawfully against another, shall not go armed with a knife having a blade over 3 inches in length.

so i need a 3in blade I suppose, folding not fixed since I obviously won't be hunting, I will be in class. I go to class late at night, and in the *city* and am quite done feeling like I have nothing for safety besides running to my minivan LOL

sooo what do I get?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Lots of options in the folding 3 inch blade category. This thread should blow wide open with all sorts of information.

Okay, you live in Michigan somewhere, right? So most of the time you will be dealing with heavy winter clothes.

Things like Carhartt and other heavy flannel clothing are pretty resisant to basic cutting. They are that way by design, so I would recommend AGAINST a blade that does not have at least a half serrated edge in a knife that is as small as a 3" blade.

The reason is, a serrated blade will slash and tear, where a fine blade that is razor sharp will slice, but it may not slice deep enough.

The down side is that a serrated blade might catch on something and be ripped from your hand.

It's a personal decision, but I would think a partially serrated blade would give you a better chance of getting through those outer layers.

Now, I am NO knife expert. I am basing this on what I have seen in knife videos and what I have experienced with tears and slices on my own Carhartt stuff through the years while working.

I never had a straight knife go all the way through my Carhartts, but I did have a couple of ragged tears that would be the equivilent of a serrated blade.

As for good, really good companies to search through:

SOG knives. They are local to me and a great company with really great, not expensive knives.

SpyderCo. Another PNW company. Their serrated blades, I believe, are patented and they are really well done. They even have knives in pink.

Cold Steel. Hands down, this company tortures their knives harder than anyone else in the business. I have, about, 10 of their knives and machettes and they are all hard core, high quality knives. Their handles such. They really need some help in that department, but their knives are affordable and they make really, REALLY great blades with a lifetime warranty.

Of course, you can spend A LOT more on semi custom or full blown custom knives, but I seem to remember you are on a budget and any of those three companies will treat you right.

Good luck and let us know what you pick.

JD

Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Jess, there are LOTS of good options in the 3" size category. How much are you looking to spend?

Spyderco, Cold Steel, Kershaw and Benchmade are some of the brands you might want to look at. They make excellent folders and have several models that would fit your requirements.

I'd suggest a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian (with a pink handle, of course!). The blade is 2.91", the handle is quite comfortable and it uses their patented AXIS lock which is both strong and smooth. They are made from 154CM steel, which is excellent, and come with a variety of blade designs to choose from. And, best of all, can be had for under $60.

Here's one of them: Benchmade Mini Griptilian, MDP, Plain edge, Pink Handle

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #4

Francisco, you need to change your "Supporting Member" tag to "FTF Blade Expert"

Another wise and informational post concerning the subject. Thank you sir!!

JD

Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #5

Default batons

You could always get 16" police baton it folds up to around 6 or 7 in. and there is no law stating you can't carry it, but I still wouldn't tell anyone because you know how the ANTI'S are these days EVERYTHING IS CONSIDERED A WEAPON.Seems like they'd rather see every body dead than protecting themselves, and if you don't tell anyone and you carry it in tour book bag nobody'll ever know then just put in your coat sleeve when you're ready to leave, hope this helps.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the Buck Bones 870XC. Partially serrated, it has a modified tanto point for more powerful cutting when a slashing move is made. 3" blade with a thumb stud allowing the blade to be opened with one hand.

From http://www.northamericanknives.com/page/981121 listing various knife steel hardness, edge carrying capability and application.

420HC knife steel: 420HC steel is a higher carbon version of the 420 steel. 420HC steel has .4 to .5% carbon and about 13% chromium. This is a lesser quality steel but when it is properly treated like Buck Knives does it produces a good general purpose knife steel with good corrosion resistance and edge holding ability.

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 12-11-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I love my Kershaw's They are wicked sharp too......

Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If I had to go with pure wicked sharp, I never believed serrated was sharp enough till the Spyderco Harpy. Literally shaving sharp, one hand opening, and just right for grabbing those hard to reach cables that keep the blood pumping.

spydercoharpynew1.jpg  

Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If I had to go with pure wicked sharp, I never believed serrated was sharp enough till the Spyderco Harpy. Literally shaving sharp, one hand opening, and just right for grabbing those hard to reach cables that keep the blood pumping.

Yeah. Spyderco is one company that does serrated RIGHT. Those blades are sharp enough to snag bone and make an incision....

Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

oooh there are TONS of good choices. and pink is fantastic...then the menfolk can't claim it as theirs!!