Knife Nick Question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Knife Nick Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Knife Nick Question

I have a Gerber Gator knife and I can feel little nicks on the edge of the blade. It doesn't make any difference how it is sharpened they are always there. Do the Chefs Choice sharpeners do a better job than others?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2007, 11:54 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Knife Nick Question?

Kitty/ALL

RON L = SURPSURPLUS

I'm Familuar with the Gerber knife your talking about, I know nothing about the Sharpening rig you Mentioned? I have many Gerber Knives, and as they are Stainless steel they are a Bit "Rougher" than carbon steel! You can dress up any Pit, gouges or nichs with a snall Mill file, if your careful, or you can use a light smooth stone! I'm of the old school that uses a lot of Stones and Files to get an Edge back, So I use a Spyderco Tri-angle system, It's kinda Like the Crock sticks of Ceremic stones ya see folks use, but these stones are pyrimid shaped and have a heavy and light set of stones for different grit, Grey is harsher grit, while is almost pure ceremic! The Knife or Edge is Ran down the stones from top to bottom of edge and it works prety well to just keep an edge, for applying an edge I like a Heavy or Medium stone and Run the Knife from tip to back on each side, building an real edge! It's a lot of work, but it gets to be a relaxing deal and I can shave the hair off my arm if I were silly enough to do so? If you work at it, putting an edge and keeping an edge on a knife is not hard, just takes time and patience!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat View Post
I have a Gerber Gator knife and I can feel little nicks on the edge of the blade. It doesn't make any difference how it is sharpened they are always there. Do the Chefs Choice sharpeners do a better job than others?
What kind of material is the blade? Some materials like talonite are pseudo-self-sharpening where very small bits flake off during use. This always leaves a sharp edge with very, very small serrations.

I recommend against using any motor-driven sharpeners. Just use manual ones. With a little practice, it doesn't take much to get most knives razor sharp.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Generally, sharpeners designed for kitchen use aren't the best choice for your Gerber.