Knife mods and stone sharpening - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife mods and stone sharpening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1
IMO, every knife collector/enthusiasts should master a stone. It's the most basic and dependable way to sharpen a blade.
These new sharpeners and "quick" sharpeners work, but they take metal off the edge of the blade and I have yet to find one that gives a razor edge.
Oh you could not be more right man. I bought a smith pull through sharpener that tore up my spyderco. Luckily I got this stone and fixed it up nice. I always stayed away from stones because I didn't trust myself to be able to use one right but I can now. I have a lot to learn but making a razor edge on my first time was an unexpected outcome. It gives me great confidence and stones are all I will use from now on

Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #12

Liked 2390 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

They supply us with a cheap stone at work. It's two sided and is horrible at putting a fine edge on a blade. It will make it workable though. Last boat had a decent soft stone that required oil and it did a good job.

On this boat, they have one of those kitchen sharpeners that are a file rod kinda thing with a handle. On my two work knives it will allow you to shave hair off your arm. With kitchen knives it doesn't do anything.

I have no sharpener at home yet. I need to pick up a nice stone.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical

We all have that knife or knives we just baby and pull out to show our buddies.
A BBQ knife, I guess you could say.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA
A BBQ knife, I guess you could say.
Heck ya man. My BBQ, poker night, range, and general looky what I got knife. Lol that is funny man

Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical

Heck ya man. My BBQ, poker night, range, and general looky what I got knife. Lol that is funny man
Keep mine on my nightstand, it is the greatest eye candy ever created!!!
image-2625171959.jpg   image-2207736721.jpg  

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA

Keep mine on my nightstand, it is the greatest eye candy ever created!!!
This is my favorite looking Ka-Bar. I carry it because it was low cost but still the coolest looking knife IMO I have.

image-1118110467.jpg

Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 977 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 1258

Another tip...

To help teach you to keep the factory angle, take a Sharpie Marker and color the edge with it. As you sharpen the blade on the stone keeping the correct angle will be visually seen as the marker is stroked away.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Another tip...

To help teach you to keep the factory angle, take a Sharpie Marker and color the edge with it. As you sharpen the blade on the stone keeping the correct angle will be visually seen as the marker is stroked away.
Wow man I will absolutely use that

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #19

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

JMAtactical, the problem with pull through, scrape sharpeners is that they don't work. Most, MOST china knives and even some American knives have a different angle on each side of the blade. I can't tell you how many Chinese soup can lids I sharpen that have totally different angles on each side.

A pocket scraper is more or less set to scratch the metal evenly on both sides. Therefore it will most likely not work. I think the key to sharpening is to keep the angle consistent all the way down the blade.

I know there are some "Daniel Boone" types that can sharpen on a stone. I'm not one of them. I can get a decent edge freehand but nothing like in my jig. You might want to think about saving yourself hours and do it the easy way.

http://youtu.be/YOrPH6m34PE

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 06-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan308
JMAtactical, the problem with pull through, scrape sharpeners is that they don't work. Most, MOST china knives and even some American knives have a different angle on each side of the blade. I can't tell you how many Chinese soup can lids I sharpen that have totally different angles on each side.

A pocket scraper is more or less set to scratch the metal evenly on both sides. Therefore it will most likely not work. I think the key to sharpening is to keep the angle consistent all the way down the blade.

I know there are some "Daniel Boone" types that can sharpen on a stone. I'm not one of them. I can get a decent edge freehand but nothing like in my jig. You might want to think about saving yourself hours and do it the easy way.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/YOrPH6m34PE
Looks like a home made lansky system. Is that your video? I like it man that is really cool. To bad I don't have those parts or the space lol