Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife mods and stone sharpening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Default Knife mods and stone sharpening

So I got me a stone from the inlaws and I have been playing around with it. I was able to get my spyderco to a paper cutting blade in about ten minutes! I am putting the spear tip on it to. How do you guys feel about stone sharpening and a rookie at it like me modifying knives.

image-1607397317.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

so what's the point of the "spear head"?

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I used to not use a stone because I didn't want to accidentally scratch the blade, but I do it now because some of my blades have been scratched anyways.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan308
so what's the point of the "spear head"?
Ha ha I'm not sure if that's what it's actually called but I have done this to one of those bear grylls ultimate survival knife before I have it to my brother who drives truck. It's one of those things where I believe it makes for easier stabbing. Where I need to stab into a package or tape or whatever it makes me feel like its cleaner and doesn't use as much energy. I know it's probably not the case but I love it. I used a work sharp belt system last time and made it look almost factory but the stone takes getting use to.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA
I used to not use a stone because I didn't want to accidentally scratch the blade, but I do it now because some of my blades have been scratched anyways.
Ya man I do scratch a little bit but even on my new knives and the one that has Teflon black coating I still use it. I guess when it comes down to the look I don't care to much if its pretty. Now if I scratched my Ka-Bar I may cry lol

Old 06-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 935 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Get yourself a 10x2 inch piece of leather, glue it down on a small board, (shiney side up). Go on Ebay and pick up a tube of 3.5 micron diamond paste and load it onto the "strop" run your blade edge on that after your stone work.. it will be very sharp! Then every now and then after you use your blade strop it. To tune the edge.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical

Ya man I do scratch a little bit but even on my new knives and the one that has Teflon black coating I still use it. I guess when it comes down to the look I don't care to much if its pretty. Now if I scratched my Ka-Bar I may cry lol
I agree they are tools and they will eventually get scratched, however I have the same thing with my Ka-Bar, I would cry if mine got scratched too- its more eye candy than a tool.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 06-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Get yourself a 10x2 inch piece of leather, glue it down on a small board, (shiney side up). Go on Ebay and pick up a tube of 3.5 micron diamond paste and load it onto the "strop" run your blade edge on that after your stone work.. it will be very sharp! Then every now and then after you use your blade strop it. To tune the edge.
Wow man thank you so much for the advice. Ill get on it bud
Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA

I agree they are tools and they will eventually get scratched, however I have the same thing with my Ka-Bar, I would cry if mine got scratched too- its more eye candy than a tool.
Hahaha I could not agree more. We all have that knife or knives we just baby and pull out to show our buddies. Nice to see yet another Ka-Bar fan

Old 06-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #10

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

IMO, every knife collector/enthusiasts should master a stone. It's the most basic and dependable way to sharpen a blade.
These new sharpeners and "quick" sharpeners work, but they take metal off the edge of the blade and I have yet to find one that gives a razor edge.