Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Knife laws talk about confusing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Knife laws talk about confusing.

Virginia law. It states I can't have a switchblade but is that all assested open knives? Or is that just the ones that look like the old style switchblade?
milano-stiletto-switchblade-black.jpg

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

First of all the ownership of any switchblade is a felony. There is a FEDERAL law prohibiting them. The only exceptions are for military use or if the owner has only one arm. This law has been overlooked mostly but can be enforced by any DUDLY DORIGHT. Most stated have a restriction of blade lenght as the factor as to when you can have it concealed in your pocket. Other states have a law prohibiting blades that are sharpened on both sides. Here in Colorado the only restriction is that the blade cant be over 3 1/2" in lenght.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8378 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Well, the VA law has been on the books for a number of years- but switchblades can be side openers (like the one in your pic) or front openers. Now, could you define what you mean by "assisted opening"? VA law does not ban thumb tabs on the blade, or lockblades (unless carrying a folding knife with more than 3" blade CONCEALED) In general, if a law does not define within it's wording an item, then the dictionary definition is used.

Whatcha got?

PS- IANAL, and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

IANAL

An assisted opener requires that you manually open the blade a few degrees before the mechanism takes over.

The laws are silly, since brass knuckles are illegal everywhere, and yet I could go purchase a set at any gun show, flea market, or surplus shop. I can get a huge honkin knife at Wal-Mart.

Posessing these items outside the house would likely get felony charges.

The laws are hazy as hell, and leave alot to the discretion of the LEO.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
IANAL

An assisted opener requires that you manually open the blade a few degrees before the mechanism takes over.

The laws are silly, since brass knuckles are illegal everywhere, and yet I could go purchase a set at any gun show, flea market, or surplus shop. I can get a huge honkin knife at Wal-Mart.

Posessing these items outside the house would likely get felony charges.

The laws are hazy as hell, and leave alot to the discretion of the LEO.
people sell brass knuckles legally by calling them belt buckles

a split second of man made perfection dialogue, speed, and direction.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Of the two knives I carry, the TOP ONE is legal (Cold Steel TI-LITE) The Second one is illegal, spring open (Benchmade AFO). I can open up the TI-LITE just as fast as the AFO, it just takes a bit more effort.

t-_afo.jpg  

Old 03-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #7

You can tell it was lawyers that wrote these laws. Because if a normal man would have wrote them it would say everything in plane english and spell them out.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I thought my state was bad. As far as knives I guess not. In MA you can legal own a switch blade you just can't carry it. We've had guys up here arrested because they had a switch blade in their home. They were told they would'nt get them back and they were charged. When it went to court the cases were throwen out and the knives returned. The way it was explained to me was the law was against carring not owning. Go figure..

Last edited by TRIGGER; 03-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well said, Trigger. And well done.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #10

Now in the wal-mart the other night they had assisted opening knives. What the heck is the difference?

I thought assisted opening was spring loaded? Am I wrong?

I still ain't droppin $200 on no dang knife. My free 5.11 tactical knife gets just as sharp as your $200 benchmade. When I break my blade I am out $0 your out $200. Oh I will go buy another for $30 or $50. I am still $340 to $350 ahead of you.