Originally Posted by Dillinger
Wal*mart and knives is always a death sentence for a thread.
What are you looking for a knife?
What blade steel?
What kind of edge retention?
What handle/bolster material?
Why Kershaw? Is it the name? The reputation? What?
Well, on my last thread about the catalog of knives at my local Wal-mart, I got two firm recommendations: Spyderco Native & Kershaw. But no one said WHICH Kershaw and can't get the Native there any more.
To answer the questions you asked me:
- I want an ALL purpose carry-everywhere knife good for everything from peeling fruit to prying my XD's slide loose if it gets stuck, to skinning animals, to cleaning fish, to shoving it into the body of an attacker if need be. I won't cover all of these, just trying to hit the most.
- Apparently the Native was made of the very best knife steel (forget what designation it was), but I'd like to get a Kershaw equivalent.
- Kershaw is made in the U.S. of A., unlike my XD, which I wish was.
- Just looking at/handling the Kershaw knives at my local Walmart, they seemed superior to the Gerbers & other brands
- I'd rather buy where I can see the product if possible, before buying it. I live in a small tourist town and Wallyworld is about all I got for a brick-and-mortar gun supply source, other than gun shows which for me have been horribly timed lately and which don't seem to offer any great deals any more.
- I love Walmart because the prices are low on a lot of stuff and the liberals hate Walmart. I had a female boss who would constantly complain about Walmart selling guns but not porn. In fact, the very best thing to piss off a lib would be to drive a Hummer to Walmart. Parking it next to a Prius (if you could find one there) would be funny IMHO...
- I am 47 and don't know jack-squat about knives, which is the main reason I posted the question in the first place.
- Hopefully that answered most of the Q's. I'll stay away from referring to Walmart in the future, altho that indicates to me maybe I am not on the right forum for me after all.