Kabar Necker Becker
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Kabar Necker Becker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Kabar Necker Becker

What are your thoughts? I'm looking for a general purpose fixed blade. Any advice on other similar knives would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #2

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You could do a lot worse. It's 1095 steel, which is a decent, if standard, carbon steel. Stands up to moderately hard use. The price is certainly reasonable. I like the knife; however if it were going to be my primary knife I would prefer about a 4" blade instead of a 3.25" blade.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

As usual I agree with my fellow Texan here. Ka Bar is one of my very favorite brands. The rich and awesome history of Ka Bar speaks for itself. You can never go wrong with Ka Bar. Forest knife and a great choice my friend

Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
You could do a lot worse. It's 1095 steel, which is a decent, if standard, carbon steel. Stands up to moderately hard use. The price is certainly reasonable. I like the knife; however if it were going to be my primary knife I would prefer about a 4" blade instead of a 3.25" blade.

What is your primary knife? This is going to be my first "nice" knife, I usually just have cheap folders for daily use.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
What is your primary knife? This is going to be my first "nice" knife, I usually just have cheap folders for daily use.
Up until about 10 years ago my main outdoors/camping knife was a Marble's Ideal my father gave me when I was about 10 years old. I'm now 58. I finally retired the old Marbles (I do not recommend the currernt line of Marbles knives) and replaced it with a Bark River Northstar and, later, a Swamp Rat Howling Rat.

I am a fan of Bark River knives, and have several, although these days they've gotten rather pricey. The line of Busse family knives -- Busse, Swamp Rat, Scrapyard -- are all extremely tough, hard use knives, but also a little costly.

One of my favorite smaller fixed blade knife is the now out of production-- the Benchmade Outdoorsman, but you can still occasionally find them on ebay.

Although I have several heavy duty folders -- Benchmade, REKAT, and, of course, the classic Buck 110, my current edc is a Gerber Folding Sportsman, with a 440C blade from the 70's when Gerber still made decent knives. A heck of a good bargin imo is the line of Queen slip joint and fixed blade knives made with D2 blades.

Is this going to be bushcraft knife, or a work knife, or an edc? The Becker Necker you mention is a good choice for the price. Ka-Bar also has a line of High Impact knives made of D2. Harder to sharpen, though.

Bottom line -- buy a well made knife with decent steel (check out the link on knife steels I posted in the Knife Steel thread in this folder) that feels good in your hand.

And I am NOT trying to talk you out of the Becker Necker. It will do you a good job.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

Up until about 10 years ago my main outdoors/camping knife was a Marble's Ideal my father gave me when I was about 10 years old. I'm now 58. I finally retired the old Marbles (I do not recommend the currernt line of Marbles knives) and replaced it with a Bark River Northstar and, later, a Swamp Rat Howling Rat.

I am a fan of Bark River knives, and have several, although these days they've gotten rather pricey. The line of Busse family knives -- Busse, Swamp Rat, Scrapyard -- are all extremely tough, hard use knives, but also a little costly.

One of my favorite smaller fixed blade knife is the now out of production-- the Benchmade Outdoorsman, but you can still occasionally find them on ebay.

Although I have several heavy duty folders -- Benchmade, REKAT, and, of course, the classic Buck 110, my current edc is a Gerber Folding Sportsman, with a 440C blade from the 70's when Gerber still made decent knives. A heck of a good bargin imo is the line of Queen slip joint and fixed blade knives made with D2 blades.

Is this going to be bushcraft knife, or a work knife, or an edc? The Becker Necker you mention is a good choice for the price. Ka-Bar also has a line of High Impact knives made of D2. Harder to sharpen, though.

Bottom line -- buy a well made knife with decent steel (check out the link on knife steels I posted in the Knife Steel thread in this folder) that feels good in your hand.

And I am NOT trying to talk you out of the Becker Necker. It will do you a good job.
I'm looking for a work/edc knife. Just something to keep on my belt.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #7

Well, then I'd just to with the Becker Necker -- but you'll have to wrap the handle with paracord, or put some scales on the bare metal handles for comfort.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Well, then I'd just to with the Becker Necker -- but you'll have to wrap the handle with paracord, or put some scales on the bare metal handles for comfort.
Thanks for the help!