Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Improvised Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/improvised-weapons-7026/)

SGT-MILLER 09-19-2008 11:57 PM

Improvised Weapons

What would be some good improvised weapons to use.

Let the brainstorming begin.:)

Dillinger 09-20-2008 12:51 AM

Improvised Weapons - I actually studied this once. Pretty cool concept actually.

Assuming you aren't carrying your pistol or packing a pocket knife?

A handful of change, or your keys, will add some impact to a thrown punch.

I suppose the obvious broken glass bottle, but these days that would basically say beer bottle ( or a nice bottle of Thomas Kemper ). :)

Old school car antennas come off in a "snap" ( pun - zing ) and make a great improvised short range whip.

The "mail pickup" red flag off a mailbox should come off fairly well, and could be used to some effect. Still puts you "in range" of counter strike.

Any type of construction site, fairly common the last few years in most areas of the country, would lead you to rebar, 2x4's and lots of other "club" like weapons.

Trash cans are a good source of improvised weapons:

The lid off a soup can.

An Aluminum can, crinkled and twisted open, leaves a nice, sharp edge.

The plastic "clamshell" off a million packages sold in this day and age will lay an opponent open quite quickly if you care to close the distance.

Putting your cellphone, assuming you can't use it for it's intended purpose, and/or your keys into a pocket in your jacket can allow you a weighted, almost morningstar type of flail, to swing by the sleeves with effect to keep an attacker at bay.

Decorative rocks or bricks from a persons' front yard or garden. Used as a crude brass knuckle or club.

A small diameter branch, or limb off a sampling, can be easily torn off and used as a make shift riding crop or bullwhip if you run your hands up the shaft and remove most of the leaves to allow less aerodynamic resistance.

That's just off the top of my head from the classes, I will need to give it some thought and see what else I remember...

JD

SGT-MILLER 09-20-2008 01:36 AM

I'm curious about the tightly rolled up magazine. Saw it in Borne Conspiracy, and wondering how effective that really is.

DuckA 09-20-2008 02:17 AM

I've always thought that a bush axe would be a hell of a weapon to get after someone with.

http://images.lowes.com/product/027997/027997170325.jpg

dragunovsks 09-20-2008 02:54 AM

I'm gonna go with the "Full Metal Jacket" theme, tube sock with a bar of soap in it. Or, even worse, a tube sock full of change. Oh, man I chuckled readin that.

Wow, were'd you come up with that list, Dillinger. Well, someone here doesn't need a gun to survive.
It's always a pleasure reading your posts, never know when your gonna say something funny

My father-in-law nearly got in a tussle with a guy in the wal-mart parking lot over a parking space. The other guy started it, anyway he grabbed what was available in the bed of his Ranger. An 8 foot fishing pole. He said it was either that or a 2-ton hydraulic jack handle, of course he could have just threw the jack itself at him.

Boris 09-20-2008 01:59 PM

I worked last year in Paris with a French bodyguard who always had a log thin surgical probe behind the left lapel of his Georgio Armani suit.....:cool:

mpoirier22114 09-20-2008 02:27 PM

anything and everything in the immediate area is to be used to finish your opponent off as quick as possible, that being said a shovel would work good too:D

Dillinger 09-20-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 41370)
Wow, were'd you come up with that list, Dillinger. Well, someone here doesn't need a gun to survive.
It's always a pleasure reading your posts, never know when your gonna say something funny

Thanks for kudos bro - we have several really good contributors here, I just try to keep up with the level that is set.

I actually studied improvised weapons as part of a self defense combat seminar that was taught by former military types and martial artists back in the early 90's.

They went through all kinds of things in daily life that could be used if you found yourself in the worst possible scenario.

I need to take a walk around the sub division with the dog today anyways, I will see what I can remember and find - perhaps post some more later.

JD

dragunovsks 09-20-2008 03:51 PM

I saw a Jacki Chan movie once, I don't remember which one, but he used an extension ladder to fight a guy.

Dillinger 09-20-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 41437)
I saw a Jacki Chan movie once, I don't remember which one, but he used an extension ladder to fight a guy.

If you think Jackie Chan is impressive check out this guy.

JD