I'm back need advice on oxidized fingerprints on blade
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > I'm back need advice on oxidized fingerprints on blade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default I'm back need advice on oxidized fingerprints on blade

Howdy folks,
It's great to be back.
I was a supporting member, advertised my handmade knives, sold to various members and got wonderful reviews. I still make custom, handmade knives using excellent steel and the best flintknapped obsidian blades with elk and deer antler handles.
One thing — my skills, techniques and materials are quite a bit better. I need your help, however, on a valuable knife. My National Living Treasures Series knife made by Jim Fisk, the OVB (Our Very Best) Fisk Southwest Bowie from Camillus, has oxidized fingerprints on its blade. The 11-inch blade is fabricated from 0170-6C Carbon Steel.
I've searched how to safely restore the blade, but not found the best answer. Lime juice, cut an onion, CLR, metal polish — what works? I tried good gun oil and buffing, and tested oil and .0000 steel wool, which will damage the finish. The knife is one of only 750 pieces, and worth a pretty penny, without the dark finger prints.
What should I do? It was displayed on a wall in my office, and apparently people examined it without my knowledge. Incidentally, the fabulous leather sheath, black zipper case and original fancy, black box are in mint condition. I'd like to sell it (been off work on medical leave without pay.) Its Desert Ironwood handle is beautiful.
Whoever provides the best answer most promptly is certainly welcome to a significant discount on one of my handmade knives with choice of blade and antler handle. Thank you so very much for your help in advance. I look forward to hearing from you
Randy Porter
Cell: 402-304-1422
P.S. There's one listed on eBay for $375.

ovb-fisk-southwest-bowie.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooknifemaker View Post
Howdy folks,
It's great to be back.
I was a supporting member, advertised my handmade knives, sold to various members and got wonderful reviews. I still make custom, handmade knives using excellent steel and the best flintknapped obsidian blades with elk and deer antler handles.
One thing — my skills, techniques and materials are quite a bit better. I need your help, however, on a valuable knife. My National Living Treasures Series knife made by Jim Fisk, the OVB (Our Very Best) Fisk Southwest Bowie from Camillus, has oxidized fingerprints on its blade. The 11-inch blade is fabricated from 0170-6C Carbon Steel.
I've searched how to safely restore the blade, but not found the best answer. Lime juice, cut an onion, CLR, metal polish — what works? I tried good gun oil and buffing, and tested oil and .0000 steel wool, which will damage the finish. The knife is one of only 750 pieces, and worth a pretty penny, without the dark finger prints.
What should I do? It was displayed on a wall in my office, and apparently people examined it without my knowledge. Incidentally, the fabulous leather sheath, black zipper case and original fancy, black box are in mint condition. I'd like to sell it (been off work on medical leave without pay.) Its Desert Ironwood handle is beautiful.
Whoever provides the best answer most promptly is certainly welcome to a significant discount on one of my handmade knives with choice of blade and antler handle. Thank you so very much for your help in advance. I look forward to hearing from you
Randy Porter
Cell: 402-304-1422
P.S. There's one listed on eBay for $375.
Just a thought, have you tried applying a very very non abrasive (pink) rouge on a buffer? The trick is to not let the friction get the blade hot.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

wahooknifemaker Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #3

Liked 388 Times on 224 Posts

I always had good luck with nevr-dull wadding polish.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Hi,
Thanks, Fernando,
That's the first thing I tried. I always use it to clean finger prints and smudges from blades on the knives I'm finishing.
I then apply Renaissance Wax Polish. It showed black on the wadding as if I rubbed it on brass, but never touched the finger prints. I'll use it again after the black finger prints are removed and I put a finer polish on the blade.
Take care,
Randy

Last edited by wahooknifemaker; 11-24-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8279 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10708

Have you tried contacting Camillus directly? I would imagine this would not be the first time something like this has happened. I would contact them and see if they can repair it. You might even get them to do it under warranty as the finish "failed".

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #6
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Hi kimberFan,
Great idea.
I'll see if I can get the right amount, and the right kind, of rouge. Might let my jeweler do it — not sure.
Gonna wait for a couple of more ideas, first, if that's OK.
Take care,
Randy

Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Thanks, Vikingdad,
Why didn't I think of that?
I'll Google for contact information. I'll let you know what they say.
Under warranty is a great "price," but I'd hate to pay big time.
Take care,
Randy

Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Thumb print..................

Try this on a similar steel first, spit and ordinary wood ashes. I have a can of that cotton polishing stuff, it's to gritty. Some tooth paste might work. But try these out on something else first......Good luck...........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 11-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #9
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Cool willshoum,
I've got the spit.
Have to search out some fresh wood ashes. Never thought of toothpaste.
That'd be easy, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't further damage the blade. I'll let you know how it works. Not sure I have another steel blank of this grade, but I can try it on a little spot where it would be almost impossible to find.
Take care,
Randy

Old 11-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8279 Times on 4784 Posts
Likes Given: 10708

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooknifemaker View Post
Cool willshoum,
I've got the spit.
Have to search out some fresh wood ashes. Never thought of toothpaste.
That'd be easy, and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't further damage the blade. I'll let you know how it works. Not sure I have another steel blank of this grade, but I can try it on a little spot where it would be almost impossible to find.
Take care,
Randy
Remember that wood ashes are alkaline and can cause other problems. I would be careful of using wood ash. If you think about it a steel or iron wood stove left with wood ash in it out in the rain will rust away quickly, whereas if you clean the ash out it won't rust nearly as fast. Depending on the wood burned it can be almost like a lye solution (which I think will tend to blacken steel).

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.