Idiot-proof field kukri sharpener? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Idiot-proof field kukri sharpener?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 280 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I almost bought Lanskey plus base at Cabelas but guy behind knife counter talked me out of it. He said the Spiderco sharpner was easier and faster since you didnt have to lock blade in for each side. Both are probably on YouTube.

Take a look at both, make your own call.

Nothing is idiot proof. Murphy's Law reigns supreme.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #12

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Is it worth asking if a "V" notch sharpener would work?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I was recently given a Spyderco Sharpmaker. I was kind of disappointed though as my freehandedness seems better (which is saying a lot) but maybe I need more time doing it. I did however use the rods in an unorthodox manner, they work great on my CS kukri machete as chakmaks.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 280 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I lost the DVD on how to use it for everything, I too have used it for some unorthodox uses as one would a stone on farm/garden equipment. Working edges must be durable enough not to break or chip.

Sharpening is a lot more complicated than I had thought.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #15

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

In the sporting goods section of Wal-mart you will find a "Smiths" sharpener, it is a small yellow plastic sharpener, about the size of the palm of your hand, that will fit comfortably in your pocket, It has carbide on one side and ceramic on the other and it will sharpen the dickens out of a knife of any shape without doing damage to the blade. The thing cost about $4.00. I have the Lansky system above, and it is outstanding, but for portability, the Smiths can't be beat. I have one in my kitchen, in my desk at work, and on my workbench, and have given several away.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2361 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 678

If a chopping blade is too sharp, it will stick. You really dont want a fine edge.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #17

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

if you have trouble usin a stone, then DON'T drag and push your knife over it. DRAG and PUSH your stone over the knife.

i never learned to use a stone, i just couldn't get it right. the perfect angle is 2 quarters thick...........take 2 quarters, stack them on your stone lay the back of the knife on the quarters (knife cuttin edge is on stone), and HOLD that "2 quarter" angle the whole way down the stone, while slidin your blade across the stone from hilt to point tip. NEVER could get an edge right.

THEN, i thot, why not move the STONE across the blade. if you notice the pitch, or angle, or bevel of the edge, you will notice that everytime you move the stone across the edge, it tends to have differing colors (in a good light) if not set to the current angle of the existing edge. that's because the angle that you are tryin to sharpen @, is different from the angle of the original bevel edge.

it became SO MUCH EASIER to sharpen a blade this way because i COULD SEE if the bevel was correct, because I WAS LOOKIN @ IT AS IT HAPPENED. you can't see the bevel edge bein created if you are draggin the blade across the stone.

NOW, if you haven't purchased one yet, getchu a SEMI-PRICEY STEEL (Honing Steel). it will put the "primary finishing edge" on you blade. it takes only a brief time to learn to use. once you do, you will love it. BUT, you DO have to find the right angle for it.

after you've used the steel (HELL, you prolly don't have to use a steel), find some rigid cardboard. DO NOT CUT WITH YOUR BLADE. find a piece that you can fold @least 2 times. foldin it 2x gives you 2 rounded edges. for instance, take a piece the size of a standard letter, 8.5" x 11" and fold it approximately 2x durin the 11" length..........2 rounded edges.

NOW you have the "secondary 'FINE,' finishing edge" tool. watch your angle and "push" the bevel edge across the FLAT side of the cardboard, BE CAREFUL of your bevel (you should be facing the bevel edge while "pushin" the blade). push it away from you, or "up" the cardboard. start with the tip, pushing into (not stabbin or cuttin the actual cardboard) and across the surface, and ending @ the hilt in kinda a sweepin motion with your wrist.........like you would open a letter or gut a fish, but with the backside of the blade. NOW, bring the blade back "down" the cardboard (back to you) by placing the whole blade on the FLAT side of the cardboard, BE CAREFUL of your bevel. start with the hilt, drawing the blade to you and slowly rotatin (on the same plane as the cardboard) the knife handle back to the cardboard until the tip comes off it and is pointin directly away from your person. if you get TOO MUCH OF AN ANGLE, your edge, @ the tip, will start cuttin into the cardboard, WATCH YOUR ANGLE OF HOLD.

it helps to put downward pressure in the blade with 3 fingers of your free hand. your free hands also helps you control the angle of hold also.

the cardboard works like a barber's strap/strop. it is a lil more coarse tho. makes a shavingly, sharp edge. take your time, and go slow.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-17-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS
if you have trouble usin a stone, then DON'T drag and push your knife over it. DRAG and PUSH your stone over the knife.

i never learned to use a stone, i just couldn't get it right. the perfect angle is 2 quarters thick...........take 2 quarters, stack them on your stone lay the back of the knife on the quarters (knife cuttin edge is on stone), and HOLD that "2 quarter" angle the whole way down the stone, while slidin your blade across the stone from hilt to point tip. NEVER could get an edge right.

THEN, i thot, why not move the STONE across the blade. if you notice the pitch, or angle, or bevel of the edge, you will notice that everytime you move the stone across the edge, it tends to have differing colors (in a good light) if not set to the current angle of the existing edge. that's because the angle that you are tryin to sharpen @, is different from the angle of the original bevel edge.

it became SO MUCH EASIER to sharpen a blade this way because i COULD SEE if the bevel was correct, because I WAS LOOKIN @ IT AS IT HAPPENED. you can't see the bevel edge bein created if you are draggin the blade across the stone.

NOW, if you haven't purchased one yet, getchu a SEMI-PRICEY STEEL (Honing Steel). it will put the "primary finishing edge" on you blade. it takes only a brief time to learn to use. once you do, you will love it. BUT, you DO have to find the right angle for it.

after you've used the steel (HELL, you prolly don't have to use a steel), find some rigid cardboard. DO NOT CUT WITH YOUR BLADE. find a piece that you can fold @least 2 times. foldin it 2x gives you 2 rounded edges. for instance, take a piece the size of a standard letter, 8.5" x 11" and fold it approximately 2x durin the 11" length..........2 rounded edges.

NOW you have the "secondary 'FINE,' finishing edge" tool. watch your angle and "push" the bevel edge across the FLAT side of the cardboard, BE CAREFUL of your bevel (you should be facing the bevel edge while "pushin" the blade). push it away from you, or "up" the cardboard. start with the tip, pushing into (not stabbin or cuttin the actual cardboard) and across the surface, and ending @ the hilt in kinda a sweepin motion with your wrist.........like you would open a letter or gut a fish, but with the backside of the blade. NOW, bring the blade back "down" the cardboard (back to you) by placing the whole blade on the FLAT side of the cardboard, BE CAREFUL of your bevel. start with the hilt, drawing the blade to you and slowly rotatin (on the same plane as the cardboard) the knife handle back to the cardboard until the tip comes off it and is pointin directly away from your person. if you get TOO MUCH OF AN ANGLE, your edge, @ the tip, will start cuttin into the cardboard, WATCH YOUR ANGLE OF HOLD.

it helps to put downward pressure in the blade with 3 fingers of your free hand. your free hands also helps you control the angle of hold also.

the cardboard works like a barber's strap/strop. it is a lil more coarse tho. makes a shavingly, sharp edge. take your time, and go slow.
Would enjoy seeing a video of this.. Not quite following, and I never have quite gotten the hang of sharpening a blade to the point you could shave with it!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #19

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnic

Would enjoy seeing a video of this.. Not quite following, and I never have quite gotten the hang of sharpening a blade to the point you could shave with it!
Send me any blade you want sharp and ill get em so sharp you can't touch the edge

Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I find myself wondering if idiots should be allowed sharp knives or tools to make their knives sharp. Would that show on the white house website, do ya think? They could have a list of things not allowed in the oval office or something.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This