ID this bayo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > ID this bayo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ID this bayo?

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by slowryde45; 08-22-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Googled this-- mite be a winner
Show me your Model of 1905 SA or RIA bayonets - U.S. Militaria Forum
Springfield Model of 1905

The pics I've seen has the year of manufacture on the tang..if so yours would be 1911 manufacture

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You have a 1905 bayonet for the Springfield 1903/A3. They were made with the blades in the white, but blued near the end of WW1. Your scabbard is the WW2 fiberglass, as these also fit the M1 Garand and were issued again for WW2. The original scabbard was wooden, wrapped in raw hide and again with leather, dyed brown. Originally with a Krag hanger, later with the brass hooks.

They are fairly collectible now, as many (most) were cut down to 10" during WW2.

I can't tell if yours is blued or not. It has been sharpened a lot, as evidenced by the curve to the blade.

Hold onto it, as the prices keep going up on those.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Thanks M14,

Actually, the blade has no curve. I went back and checked it when I read that. I think it's the picture, or my camera is starting to go fish-eye on me or something I was wondering about the scabbard, specially when I saw the ones on that site that Gate sent. It looked like the scabbards they showed were similar to the one I have, except that they had a canvas and leather cover? I could be wrong. Like I said earlier, it was handed down to me from my grandfather, from when he fought in the Philippines. But he fought there before WWII, against the Moros in the southern Philippines. It would have been post WWI, but pre WWII. But, it has stayed in the family since, and I hope to keep it that way. I did bring it to a show once, and one of the guys at a table said it wasn't worth much, but offered me $475 for it (about 5 years ago). I just laughed, at how little it was worth to him, thanked him for his time and walked away smiling. It is blued by the way.

Thanks again,
Slo
The canvas covered scabbards were the WW1 issue, leading up to pre WW2. Looks like you grandfather upgraded his scabbard at some point, if he was in the PI before the war started.

Glad to hear your blade is straight. Outstanding heirloom you have there.