I want a new knife

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > I want a new knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I want a new knife

I am trying to decide between a Fixation Bowie and a Blackhawk Tatang. What are your opinions?

Fixation Bowie:
http://www.huntingknivesandmore.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_3/42161460_9854247.jpg

Blackhawk Tatang:
https://www.officeroutfitter.com/zencart/images/BH15TT10BK.jpg

ps I am open to suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm a bit disappointed with SOG's Fusion line, I know they are low price knives, but the ones I've handled had pretty bad fit and finish. The handle on the bowie was a lot thinner in person than it looked in the pictures. I wouldn't recommend them.

I think you'll be a lot happier with the Tatang, granted it costs two or three times as much as the Fixation Bowie so the comparison isn't fair, but it's worth it. It's a Michael Janich design, it uses good carbon steel and the fit and finish on the Blackhawk knives I've handled so far has been quite good. I'd go with the plain edge one, but that's just personal preference.

I'd be happy to suggest a knife or two, but I need a bit more info about your needs. Basically, what you expect to use the knife for and how much you want to spend.

Anyway, here's one that's worth looking at (you seem to be looking for a medium sized tactical, this one is a great utility knife as well):

Benchmade Nimravus, Black Aluminum Handle, Black Blade, Plain

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)