Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > How do you wear your boot knife?.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default How do you wear your boot knife?.

How do you secure it and in what orientation please?. Just got a nice Spanish made Muela MK13, but despite it being very solid and well made, and the sheath is also very well made, one thing lets it right down and that's the clip, its made of plastic!. Wtf?. I have a strong urge to contact Muela and ask why on earth let down such a great tool with a useless clip, I know its not highly prices but even so, it would only cost pennies extra to use a steel clip .

Fortunately I have found a steel clip online that looks perfect as a replacement, http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-eur/search/searchresults/1239-24.aspx .

In the US its quite expensive but in Europe where Muela make them its not so bad which makes a change .

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/FXKMMK13/Muela-MK-13

http://www.filofiel.com/tiendaonline/muela-mk13-p-2271.html?language=en

But don't get me wrong its brilliant apart from the clip and until I get my upgrade can anyonw tell me how you secure yours exactly, pics would be great. Do you clip in inside boot or outside?, left leg or right leg, inside leg or outside?, do you use straps with it to?.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't feel the need for a boot knife. Never have, even when I wore boots a lot. I have some very good belt knives and slipjoints, and always have two of the latter in my pocket. And if push really comes to thug, a gun.

But that's just me.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 03-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

I kind of agree but I collect and want to experience as many different types of knife possible really, should an occasion ever call for it then it would be good to have the knowledge.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #4

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If I may make a suggestion based on a great many years of using knives as tools, a so-called tanto (actually an American tanto, the Japanese design is usually quite different) is not the best choice for much except sticking people. If your knife is an implement and not a weapon, another blade design would serve you much better, and any knife can be used to hurt someone.

If you're thinking of a blade as a weapon, it's important to remember that knife fights are nearly always horribly bloody affairs in which both opponents are gravely injured, sometimes fatally. They often don't end nearly quickly enough. If somebody is coming at me with as knife, I am going to shoot him till he stops.

Again, just my opinion, and I'm older than the domestication of cattle.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 935 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Depending on your type/style of boot, the easiest modification to make is sew in a strap onto the boot for the sheath clip to attach to. You can even have a specific sheath sewn into the boot.

Boot knives are inherently uncomfortable, and they tend to move around a bit, if not well secured.

The boot knife was always my last line of back up defense if I needed it.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #6

Shoudazagged,

I don't really want to get into the philosophy side of things, but I thank you for your comments. I will say that I have no intention whatsoever of fighting somebody in such a way, I'm quite happy to run and be laughed at than offer up my life's work to some scrote with a kitchen knife. But then not everyone feels the need to carry a firearm, or is even allowed, I don't necessarily feel the need to carry a knife for a PPW. I have utility knives that I always carry, I'd not have a tanto for utility because as you say, its not ideal.

Could I envisage days when something like this could be worth having on my person?, of coarse, I've already seen them. In my experience the badder looking the blade the more effective it can be at making and armed scumbag quit backing you into a corner and leave you alone for easier prey, and yes giving up the element of surprise isn't always the best bet but its not always a bad thing either depending on the circumstances.

Last edited by RemFire; 03-25-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Depending on your type/style of boot, the easiest modification to make is sew in a strap onto the boot for the sheath clip to attach to. You can even have a specific sheath sewn into the boot.

Boot knives are inherently uncomfortable, and they tend to move around a bit, if not well secured.

The boot knife was always my last line of back up defense if I needed it.
Nice one that's the kind of experience based knowledge I need, I've looked it up but found pretty much nothing on the subject.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #8

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Shoudazagged: What is a slipjoint?

Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8609 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

When was wearing Jump Boots for a living, carried a Gerber Pixie tucked in the top inside of left boot. No keeper, no clip, it stayed there, including jumps.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #10

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I bought a Black Hawk neck knife and I just took the chain off and zip tied the thing on the inside of my boots. I carry a Old timer 165OT on my hip for chores and what not but I just like to keep a extra knife some where on me just in case never know when it will come in handy.

It's small light and I honestly tend to forget I have it till I take off my boots after work.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED