How to care for damascus knives
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > How to care for damascus knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to care for damascus knives

Hi Friends, I picked up a couple of damascus knives on ebay the other day. I've read that to care for the blade use WD-40, vegetable oil, vaseline, etc. Anyone know the best way to keep rust off the blade? How about stag & buffalo horn handles? Thanks, Bernie

It's not the amount of breaths we take in life, but the moments that take our breaths that count.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

First, and most important, do not store your Damascus (or any high carbon) knives in their leather sheaths. A sheath is to protect you from the edge while wearing the knife, not for storage.

To clean the knife simply wash in warm soapy water (I like Dawn dish soap), rinse well and dry completely. As soon as the knife is dry it will begin to oxidize. Do not wait to protect the surface. Your list of treatments is fine (although I really don't care for WD-40) and will work along with many knife-specific treatments on the market.

My favorite is Renaissance Wax and I use it to protect the entire knife. This microcrystalline wax-polish is remarkable and a canebrake regular for all my guns and knives.

Renaissance Wax, 65ml SHIPPED FREE with Tracking | eBay

rwax.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Keep it clean and oiled like you would any carbon steel blade.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php