Help me pick my new knife!!??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Help me pick my new knife!!??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Default Help me pick my new knife!!??

Ok guys, most of y'all know me and know my group is dedicated to tactics and gear. I am newish to the knife game as I have been a " gun guy" as they say for 20 years. So I need your help. I want a TANTO blade, 3 1/2 to 4", satin or polished, and. It has to be in the 50$ or cheaper range. I want a knife I can really be an A hole to and it will keep coming back for more.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #2

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cold Steel. They're not cheap, but if I were in the market for a tanto, that's what I'd look at first.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Liked 1449 Times on 880 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Look at Kershaw knives. They are very good quality in your price range.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
Ok guys, most of y'all know me and know my group is dedicated to tactics and gear. I am newish to the knife game as I have been a " gun guy" as they say for 20 years. So I need your help. I want a TANTO blade, 3 1/2 to 4", satin or polished, and. It has to be in the 50$ or cheaper range. I want a knife I can really be an A hole to and it will keep coming back for more.
BLADEHQ maybe?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Your only going to get some made in China thing in that spec for under 50. In other words you might not be an A-hole to it for all that long before it falls apart.

Also, any particular reason for the Tanto blade?.

I must say the only time I look at lower end chinese stuff is for edc utility as I tend to loose them quite often, so as long as your aware of its limits and don't expect to much durability then fair enough. I just bought a Spyderco byrd as a replacement utility as they are a tough enough line of knives but cheap enough if they get lost.

Last edited by RemFire; 08-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

As much as I hate to say this -- believe me, it hurts -- one of the best knives I know of that meets your description is my vintage Cold Steel Mini-Tanto. It's about 18 years old, from the days when CS stuff was, imo, better. You might find one of ebay, but will pay considerably more than $50.00

cs13s09-1.jpg  

Last edited by txpossum; 08-17-2013 at 04:54 PM.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #7

Liked 2491 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Find a medium steel quality like 440.

A lower priced, heavier blade in the normal clip or drop point style,

and cut away the front of the edge into your favorite style of

Tanto, with a grinder or Dremel. The backbone of a knife like

this will give you a good

beater, if that's what you are looking for.

I find most commercial offerings sacrifice the spine of

a knife on the alter of profit.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

I have been non stop watching knives for a day or two on eBay. I think I am gonna go with the spyderco cara cara. I don't know yet. Kershaw has a lot of knives in my range that look awesome. I could get two new knives and still be under 50$. I'm just not sure. I have been trying to sell my Kerhaw groove so I can buy a new knife

Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical
I want a TANTO blade, 3 1/2 to 4", satin or polished, and. It has to be in the 50$ or cheaper range. I want a knife I can really be an A hole to and it will keep coming back for more.
First, I have to ask, why a tanto blade? As a general utility blade a clip or drop point is going to be much more useful. As a fighting knife... the common "American" or "modern" tanto pattern does not seem to be particularly popular with any of the more respected bladecraft instructors I am familiar with. That said, I myself own several tanto style blades although if I was looking for fighting I'd prefer a more traditional, Japanese blade style tanto.

As far as your specs, I think you may be expecting too much. You can find that pattern in that size for that price but I would not expect a really quality, durable blade. I think the least expensive tanto style utility knife I would expect to last any amount if time under heavy use would be either Cold Steel's Recon Tanto or Ka Bar's Black Tanto. Both are military style blades with black coatings and are larger than you originally suggested (7-8 inch blades) and a bit more expensive at around $80 and $60 street price.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 59

My cheap Spyderco BYRD crossbill 8cr13mov seems to take a decent edge, I just finished with my Wicked Edge and its shaving hair and push cutting slithers of paper at 17* angle.

The original edge lasted pretty good to, considering I've been cutting points onto lots of wooden sticks (for pegs).