Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Help with a Bayonet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Default Help with a Bayonet

couple years back my best friend got deployed to iraq. while there his convoy got attacked by taliban scum. they wiped out the tally-wackers with no injuries. he took a few souveniers and sent me this bayonet off one of em. he said it was a ak47 bayonet but it doesnt look like any ak bayonet ive ever seen. i dont have a ak to try and fit it too.

the only markings are a serial number on the bottom of the hilt below it can barely be seen under the dirt and rust

wondering if somone can confirm it is a ak47 bayonet or not and about when. if it is then it is a early one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #2

Looks to be E. German or maybe some other warsaw pact commie knockoff. I would think its an older one because it don't have the wire cutters built in. Don't know much about them really, not a collector.

Glad to hear your buddy done seen the elephant and got to keep all his peanuts!

I have one just like it my boy picked up in Kosovo or Iraq, too lazy to dig it out. Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 03-28-2011 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelig erer

Old 03-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like that a lot better then the shorter ones not enough reach

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks. he got 2 bronze stars over there in 3 tours. its a very very sturdy bayonet the point is almost surgical sharp with absolutely no looseness in the handle. i keep it near my xbox on my downstairs desk in case i need it.

im not a bayonet expert by any stretch it just didnt appear to be one since the only ones ive ever seen have the wire cutters. ive got an older one with the red bakelite sheath. dont remember where i got it or why since im not a AK fan never liked em. prolly got it in a gunshow trade at some point.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Its Polish.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ahh cool so it is a ak bayonet then. thats what my bud said the taliban scum had.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Yeper. First used by the Pols in 1957

"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".

Old 03-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The pictured bayonet is Bulgarian for the early AK rifles. Good points of identification are: orientation of the serial number on pommel and double rivets securing the hilt strap.

Polish bayonets had the serial number on the lower tang (between the grip scales) and had a unique scabbard design with a detachable belt hanger.

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
The pictured bayonet is Bulgarian for the early AK rifles. Good points of identification are: orientation of the serial number on pommel and double rivets securing the hilt strap.

Polish bayonets had the serial number on the lower tang (between the grip scales) and had a unique scabbard design with a detachable belt hanger.
thanks got those pages bookmarked. i buy an occasional bayonet at gunshows when they attract my attention. i seldom know what they are.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I didn't mean to misinform you. I was mistaken.