Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Got Sword?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My main hobby is the practice of armed western martial arts. I am currenty studying Tower Manuscript I.33. It is the oldest western fighting manual known to exist. Set down in 13th century germany, it describes a system for fighting with sword & buckler. Facinating stuff.

I own three live steel European-style swords, and I go through wooden practice wasters at a fairly brisk pace.

Here's a pic of me in my fighting kit, armed in the manner of Ms. I.33:

Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #32

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniswalensis View Post
My main hobby is the practice of armed western martial arts. I am currenty studying Tower Manuscript I.33. It is the oldest western fighting manual known to exist. Set down in 13th century germany, it describes a system for fighting with sword & buckler. Facinating stuff.
I own three live steel European-style swords, and I go through wooden practice wasters at a fairly brisk pace.
Here's a pic of me in my fighting kit, armed in the manner of Ms. I.33:
I have a real infinity for sword fighting. I mean the heavy, limb removing type!

I can only imagine the weight of that weapon, and not to mention the need to keep it in motion to survive!

If you would, please provide us with more info on your hobby. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say what is a live steel sword, wooden practice wasters and a buckler?

Ah.....so much neat sh*t and so little time!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I have a real infinity for sword fighting. I mean the heavy, limb removing type!

I can only imagine the weight of that weapon, and not to mention the need to keep it in motion to survive!

If you would, please provide us with more info on your hobby. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say what is a live steel sword, wooden practice wasters and a buckler?

Ah.....so much neat sh*t and so little time!
Hi Canebrake,

Thanks for your good questions!

A "live steel" or "practical" sword is a real, functioning weapon, as opposed to a "wall hanger," or a sword that is simply meant as decoration. Only practical swords can stand up to the stresses of combat. Most European-style swords you will see for sale are not practical.

A "waster" is a wooden sword used for sparing.

A "buckler" is the small metal shield I am holding in the picture. It is an infantry man's shield, light & portable. These are often depicted in medieval manuscripts as being worn on the belt when not in use.

The sword I am holding in the picture is a classic style that would have been in common use in Europe from the 11th to the 13th centuries, and declining in popularity during the 14th. It is copied from an actual medieval sword, balances well, and weighs in at 3.5 Lbs. Very managable if you train regularly.

I do most of my training, sparring & competition fighting under the auspices of a group called the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.

Not a perfect system, but it allows for full-speed, full force, & nearly full contact fighting. It's also a wonderful organization for anyone that loves history. There is a lot more to it than just the fighting.

I have several friends that I practice medeival grappeling and live steel sparring with on our own. These are a bit more dangerous than fighting with wooden swords. We have known each other for quite a while, and I trust them to do grappeling & steel sparring with me and maintain a reasonable degree of safety.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Regards, Canis

Last edited by caniswalensis; 06-17-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #34

I collect a great many swords. It is a running punchline in the firearms industry that I bring a knife/sword to a gunfight.

www.fidelisarms.com - custom lowers for ar style platform. Uppers, ammo, ect. Click on contact us and shoot me an email with any questions.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@fidelisarms View Post
I collect a great many swords. It is a running punchline in the firearms industry that I bring a knife/sword to a gunfight.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #36

No pics. Have them all boxed up right now. I'll post pics once I get them wall mounted again.

www.fidelisarms.com - custom lowers for ar style platform. Uppers, ammo, ect. Click on contact us and shoot me an email with any questions.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@fidelisarms View Post
No pics. Have them all boxed up right now. I'll post pics once I get them wall mounted again.
Just pokin' you with a sharp stick (or a "waster" thanks to caniswalensis) Chris.

- orangello

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #38

The questions on the German blades has most likely been answered already but:
" Solingen manufacturers supplied thousands of swords and bayonets to the German army during the Franco - German war of 1870 - 1871 and firms such as Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Co. (WKC) and Carl Eickhorn
are still supplying swords and bayonets. "

Here is a list of makers with the markings shown to help narrow down any future searches.

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/images/5/5e/Help_Files_Permanent_Archive_Great_Straight_Info_G erman_Manufacturing_History.pdf