Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Got a Knife Question? Francisco to Center Stage Please!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It was made by Bill Buxton, an outstanding ABS JS. I like his practical approach to knives, he makes some art knives but his hunters and EDC knives are my favourite.

He makes a basic model with micarta handles that sells for around $200, a great price for a hand forged knife with differential heat treatment (love the look of the hamon!).

His Mosaic Hunters (like the one in the pic in my previous post) go for around $400 depending on materials and size. He's got one that I like a lot available on his site (Bill Buxton Knives) for $395.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 04-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #42

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Very nice stuff. Thanks for the info on the mosaic pins and the burl suggestion. Those look pretty sweet.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

NitroxAZ sent me a PM with a question about an old combat knife. I got his permission to post the messages here, since I thought somebody else might find it useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ
Francisco,

I recently found a knife that I thought I had lost. It has been handed down in my family but not sure how far back. It is not that far but I am curious about the knife. I think it is a ka-bar but it does not say so on the blade. It looks like the traditional ka-bar military issue with a leather sheath that has a small stone in the pocket on the sheath. The blade says Camillus at teh bottom of the blade near the guard. Could you provide any info on it or guide me to a place where I can find out about it. I tried to google it but the amount of info is overwhelming and is not easy to narrow down. Thanks.

NitroxAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv
Camillus, which has sadly closed its doors, used to make combat knives for different branches of the military. They made their version of the USMC fighting knife (the "Ka-Bar"), as did other companies like Case and Ontario.

However, since you mention a small pouch with a sharpening stone on the sheath, I think what you've got might be a jet pilot survival knife. Here's a pic of some of those. Is yours similar?

If it's similar to these, I can provide more info. I did a little article on those pilot survival knives a while ago, it's got to be around here somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ
It is the second from the left with the pointed end on the sheath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv
Cool, I love those jet pilot survival knives. I don't know why I just find them really interesting.

The first ones where made by Marble's in September 1957 (only 5000), but they were too expensive and Camillus soon took the government contract from Marble's. The first ones had a 6" blade that was later shortened to 5", the pommel was screwed onto the tang in the older models and later on it was pinned, and the sheath underwent some changes as well (the addition of the metal protections, etc.).

If your knife has a pointy leather sheath (i.e. the one with no metal plate), then it was made before 1962. I'm pretty sure that was the year when the sheath was modified.

Can you tell how the pommel is attached? How long is the blade? The most desirable ones have screw top pommels and 6" blades (from a collector's point of view, I like 5" myself). One of those would cost around $350.- depending on condition.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for posting this. Great stuff.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #45

Thanks for the great info Francisco. Here is a picture of the one I have. It has a 5" inch blade and the pommel appears to be pinned. It is in great shape. It also has family history which is very important to me.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing that picture, mate. That knife is in very good shape, as are the sheath and sharpening stone. Whoever used it took good care of it. IMHO it looks a thousand times better than a brand new one. Just look at that awesome aged colour on the leather handle!

For some reason I can't begin to fathom, the jet pilot survival knife is my favourite military knife.

Does it have a date stamped on the pommel? If I'm right about the year of manufacture (around 1962) it shouldn't, since they started doing that around 1967 (except on Utica Cutlery Co. knives).

Military knives are not my strongest suit, so I might be mistaken, but from what I've been reading your knife is a transition model between the older 1957 pattern and the second generation knives that got started in 1962. It has some of the newer features (5" blade, pinned pommel) and some of the old (pointy leather sheath without the aluminum backing). So that old warrior has been around for some 48 years!

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 AM   #47

Thanks so much for all of the info. There is no date on the pommel. I love the aged look also. The handle is indeed in good shape. The only issues with this is that there is a small water stain on the bottom of the sheath and the stone has some wear on one of the bottom corners.

This has been in my hands for the last 23 years. My father gave it to me when I was a young man and I am so glad that I didn't lose it. I had looked for it everywhere and I ended up finding it in and old tackle box of mine. This will be handed down to my son. He has been showing some real interest in my knife collection lately, which warms my heart.

Last edited by NitroxAZ; 07-18-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Great stuff gentlemen. I've been following this right along.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #49

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
New question regarding blade geometry.
I'm looking for a knife for camping with my Brother and my Nephew's. I know that I want a non-folder and something bigger than a 4" blade. I'm looking to do things like cutting down small trees and limbs for shelter (trying to get the kids into a minimalist mindset), cutting ropes and cord and perhaps even prepare some game. What blade shape should I be looking for? Also, could you make any recommendations for what I want to do around the $100 range?
If you can find a used Puma White Hunter, it might fit your needs perfectly.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:37 AM   #50

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Alright, Mr. Fancypants knife guy....

Mrs. B just surprised me with a Japanese Carpenter's Knife.

The box is entirely in Japanese, I should be able to translate, but it will take some time.

What I do know is it is "triple laminated".

I understand lamination as far as swords and moras, but what is triple laminated?

products_2158_2_original.jpg