Got a Knife Question? Francisco to Center Stage Please!! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Got a Knife Question? Francisco to Center Stage Please!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
Francisco,
Saw you on the Spyderco Forum. I haven't been over there in years. I couldn't believe what I found there. This is from my old days as a LE Dealer. They were special engraving runs that I had done.
Those are awesome!

I've got a love-hate relationship with Spydies. I keep saying that I don't like them aesthetically, but I can't put them down, and I keep adding models to my EDC rotation and collection.

I also like the way they run the company, Sal is a true gentleman.

Thanks for sharing that picture.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dear Francisco,

What sharpening system or combination of systems would you recommend?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Those are awesome!

I also like the way they run the company, Sal is a true gentleman.

Thanks for sharing that picture.
No problem. I still have a few extra ones with the web on them. I will be getting you the list shortly. I think I have dug all of them out from their hiding places. You know how spyders like to hide in the dark.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Dear Francisco,

What sharpening system or combination of systems would you recommend?
I believe freehand sharpening is the best method, it takes a while to learn but once you start mastering it you can sharpen any sort of knife easily. You don't need any of those jigs like the Lansky, Spyderco Sharpmaker, etc.

I use DMT diamond hones for rough work on very dull or damaged blades (I use them once every blue moon). Spyderco ceramic stones do the bulk of my sharpening (I love the Pro file stones since they allow me to sharpen serrations and hawkbills easily).

For my convex ground knives I use the cheap and effective sandpaper and mouse pad method. I bring my edges up to 2000 grit before mirror polishing them.

My most used sharpening/honing tool is a leather strop with some buffing compound. I use it to finish my edges and to touch up knives after use. It's great, I love how it polishes the edge. Most quality steels will go on cutting forever with just a little stropping every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
No problem. I still have a few extra ones with the web on them. I will be getting you the list shortly. I think I have dug all of them out from their hiding places. You know how spyders like to hide in the dark.
Wicked. Thanks a lot!
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Francisco, elitist cane here. (or so they say, oh, end the hate Colt Colt Colt)

I have a real personal quandary to which I find myself pondering.

I have always been a closet Buck Knife fan but never really went vocal because my peeps never mentioned the mark. Good knife (I even own a couple) but with no real fan-boy following I never mentioned my Bucksí

Now on a similar theme, Bond Arms have always held a passing interest to me but eueeeeeee, itís a derringer! Albeit a manly looking derringer.

My question: Now that the two have combined efforts and talent to produce a self defense knife, I decided to get your take on this new offering.

Shooting Wire

Bond Arms Online Store - View Item Bond Arms Buck USA Knives

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cane, that knife seems to be a Buck Vantage Avid with nicer grips, the cost is even the same. BUCK

I'm not sure about the "assisted" part on the Bonds Arms website, as far as I know these are manual opening knives. Whether it's assisted or not is not a big deal to me anyways.

I think that all the Vantage line is a good deal. There are three basic models, the Vantage Pro (S30V blade and G10 handle), Vantage Avid (13C26 blade and Dymonwood handle) and the Vantage Select (420HC blade and FRN handle).

They have good ergonomics, excellent blade geometry and the Pro and Avid have good blade steels (the 420HC on the Select is good for the price, though). The pocket clip is outstanding if you like deep carry clips, no part of the knife is exposed. This is something I like a lot in an EDC knife.

The wood on the Bonds Arms version looks a LOT better than the Dymonwood on Buck's regular Vantage Avid. 13C26 is a pretty decent steel (I know you've got Kershaw's, they use this steel so you might have experience with it). Although the carbon content and other alloys might not be very impressive on paper, it has a very fine grain that allows a razor sharp edge (if I'm not mistaken it was actually used for razors at first). Corrosion resistance is good as well. And when you've got a little flame and Bos stamped on a blade, you know the heat treat was done well.

For $60, I'd buy this knife. Buck's warranty and customer service are excellent, if anything goes wrong with your knife, they'll make it right.

It's funny that you asked me about this knife, since I was just about to order a couple to try out. I got one of each variant for a customer and liked it a lot. I wouldn't call it a pure self defense knife (things like the deep carry clip are certainly not SD oriented), it's more of an EDC/utility knife that could function as a weapon in an emergency.

I don't agree with him on a lot of things, but nutnfancy has a good review of these knives on youtube.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3488 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hey. Francisco. Have you seen this yet?

http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/sog/images/SOGBH03.jpg

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, it's a Brent Beshara design (Welcome to BESH Knives Inc BESH Knives). I like it, it's not too thick and the blade shape is quite useful (and a wicked slasher for SD). The Swedge II is a better all around knife, IMHO. No pesky guard to get in the way, the choil and handle shape are enough to ensure good retention while stabbing.

Swedge II

The only reason why I won't be getting one is that they are chisel ground. I hate that. It's fine for a knife that will only be used for SD, but it's awful for a utility blade.

I'd rather get a Blackhawk Kalista, designed by Michael Janich.

BLACKHAWK! Kalista II Fixed 3.3" Plain Edge Blade - Knifecenter.com
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it's a Brent Beshara design (Welcome to BESH Knives Inc BESH Knives). I like it, it's not too thick and the blade shape is quite useful (and a wicked slasher for SD). The Swedge II is a better all around knife, IMHO. No pesky guard to get in the way, the choil and handle shape are enough to ensure good retention while stabbing.

Swedge II

The only reason why I won't be getting one is that they are chisel ground. I hate that. It's fine for a knife that will only be used for SD, but it's awful for a utility blade.

I'd rather get a Blackhawk Kalista, designed by Michael Janich.

Yep, me too.
I prefer full flat or full convex grinds, and no guards to slow my roll, but I always insist on excellent grip retention. (I wanna keep the fingers!) N.D.

BLACKHAWK! Kalista II Fixed 3.3" Plain Edge Blade - Knifecenter.com

"Carefully, and steadfastly, honor your word or be worthless" me

Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #30

Liked 860 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Francisco,

I have been really getting into knives lately and am seriously considering buying a Damascus steel blank to "make" my own knife. I am intrigued by the patterns of the Damascus steel.

My question is this: What is the best way to harden Damascus steel? The blank I am looking at is not that expensive but I don't want to ruin it. What say you sir?