Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Got a Knife Question? Francisco to Center Stage Please!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's a chart from AG Russell's website:
A.G. Russell Knives | Steel Guide - A.G. Russell

Steel is important, but it's only a part of the equation. Heat treatment and blade geometry are just as important.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Here's a chart from AG Russell's website:
A.G. Russell Knives | Steel Guide - A.G. Russell

Steel is important, but it's only a part of the equation. Heat treatment and blade geometry are just as important.
Bookmarked. Thanks much.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
New question regarding blade geometry.
I'm looking for a knife for camping with my Brother and my Nephew's. I know that I want a non-folder and something bigger than a 4" blade. I'm looking to do things like cutting down small trees and limbs for shelter (trying to get the kids into a minimalist mindset), cutting ropes and cord and perhaps even prepare some game. What blade shape should I be looking for? Also, could you make any recommendations for what I want to do around the $100 range?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
I know that I want a non-folder and something bigger than a 4" blade. I'm looking to do things like cutting down small trees and limbs for shelter (trying to get the kids into a minimalist mindset), cutting ropes and cord and perhaps even prepare some game. What blade shape should I be looking for? Also, could you make any recommendations for what I want to do around the $100 range?
I like drop points for general utility, or some clip points with a straight clip (and no false edges or anything like that to weaken the tip). Spear points are great for bushcraft knives, but they work best in 4"-5" blades where you can take full advantage of the centered tip for wood working.

Look at Ka-Bar's Becker line. They've got some big affordable choppers for around $75, they even include a little utility knife which is kind of cool.

Ka-Bar Becker Combat Utilty, Black GFN Handle, Black Blade, Plain Edge

Ka-Bar Becker Combat Bowie, Black GFN Handle, Black Blade, Plain Edge

They were designed by survival expert Ethan Becker, his knives used to be made by Camillus before it closed. Ka-Bar makes them out of 1095 steel, which I love for hard use outdoors knives. The handle slabs can be removed (and replaced with something else if you want to). My only complaint with them is that the factory edge is a little thick, but I'm a nit picking edge fanatic.

Another good choice would be the Kershaw Outcast, use the search function and you'll find a thread by JD about his experience with this knife. I bought one recently and it's worked really well so far.

Shop for case knives, Kershaw and other discount knives at Knifeworks.com - Search

If you want to get something that's so affordable that you can actually buy one for you and one for each of your nephews, look at some of the offerings from Condor Knife and Tool. It's a long standing machete company from El Salvador (started as a branch of Weyesberg, a German company) that began to work with some US designers like Joe Flowers to make very affordable knives and tools. Their carbon steel offerings are great for the price, I don't like their stainless or some of the weird designs they've got.

Condor Tool & Knife

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I bought this KaBar Bowie for camping. I haven't used it yet, but it will be backpacking with me in the Sierra's this Summer. I wanted a large knife for hacking and chopping, not for defensive use. Although I wouldn't want to be hurt by it. I also preferred the one piece grip design over the Becker.

My choices were this KaBar and the KaBar Becker Bowie. In the end, I bought this one because I got a great deal on it. I've found it a bit light to handle, but I don't think that will matter too much.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I also preferred the one piece grip design over the Becker.
That's a good suggestion CA357. I prefer the way Becker handles are made because they are easy to remove and replace with my own. The one piece rubber handles are harder to customize (you need to go with a mortised tang handle). I just can't leave my knives unmolested.

This one had a single piece rubber handle:

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #17

I like the idea of putting my own handle on it and possibly having my brother make a leather sheath for it. I've got a few ideas as to a couple different types of wood I can use.

edit: Scales, that's the word I was looking for.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

French Laguiole Knife - National Geographic Store
I got one of these as a gift for Christmas. I don't like the shiny,chromed blade, but love the feel of the wooden handle. I think it will be relegated to looking pretty in the drawer, but i really like the size & blade shape & handle material for a general use pocket knife. Any suggestions on where to find a more daily-use version of this (preferably with a matte finish on the blade)?

The lil honing tool was a nice touch for the drawer-bound pretty knife.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Francisco,
Saw you on the Spyderco Forum. I haven't been over there in years. I couldn't believe what I found there. This is from my old days as a LE Dealer. They were special engraving runs that I had done.

glasshartts-spydercos.jpg  

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
French Laguiole Knife - National Geographic Store
Any suggestions on where to find a more daily-use version of this (preferably with a matte finish on the blade)?
This site is a good source for different Laguioles. I love the pattern, it's somewhat similar to the American "toothpick" slipjoint pattern (Great Eastern Cutlery makes a great one in 1095 carbon steel).

Discount knives. Gift pocket knives for sale.

Most Laguioles have fancy finishes, but they still make great users. You got a great Christmas gift!

(canto XII, st. 6)