Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Good bow for a beginner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Default Good bow for a beginner?

I have never shot a bow in my life aside from the toys when I was a kid, but I'm thinking about getting into it.

I want something of good quality but don't need a masterpiece of a bow and don't want to spend a ton really.

Bare with me as I don't know anything, but are the arrows at Walmart any good? It will primarily be used for target practice I would think, maybe in a survival situation or very limited hunting if need be, but mostly just for fun.

I appreciate any suggestions

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR
vincent Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
I have never shot a bow in my life aside from the toys when I was a kid, but I'm thinking about getting into it.

I want something of good quality but don't need a masterpiece of a bow and don't want to spend a ton really.

Bare with me as I don't know anything, but are the arrows at Walmart any good? It will primarily be used for target practice I would think, maybe in a survival situation or very limited hunting if need be, but mostly just for fun.

A new bow can get very expensive, I shoot a new mathews helim an love it, as a noob I say get a mid road bow like a mission or a bear, something quality an less money. Also dont over bow yourself go with a 60 or 65 lb max draw. You dont have to shoot an 80lb bow.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post

Walmart arrows are not cut to fit your draw, go to a pro shop tell them help me, then hand over your credit card. Get the right spine for your draw length an draw weight. DO NOT JUST SHOOT ANY ARROW IT CAN BE DEADLY IF U DO.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #4

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

Cabelas or bass pro have relatively inexpensive bow packages, pse stinger, diamond edge, etc........ I shoot a bear anarchy and like a ar or other weapon you can spend an awful lot on your bow, I have quite a bit between bow, arrows, sight, rest release, case it all adds up, I suggest finding a bow that fits you well and is comfortable shooting then if you really get into it upgrade later, I also shoot a vintage 1961 Fred bear recurve and a hickory longbow and these are a blast to shoot, I am still working on the traditional stuff trying to get good with it enough to hunt, I am a die hard bowhunter and shoot countless arrows since I shoot almost everyday, any other questions feel free to ask away.

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgersty View Post
Cabelas or bass pro have relatively inexpensive bow packages, pse stinger, diamond edge, etc........ I shoot a bear anarchy and like a ar or other weapon you can spend an awful lot on your bow, I have quite a bit between bow, arrows, sight, rest release, case it all adds up, I suggest finding a bow that fits you well and is comfortable shooting then if you really get into it upgrade later, I also shoot a vintage 1961 Fred bear recurve and a hickory longbow and these are a blast to shoot, I am still working on the traditional stuff trying to get good with it enough to hunt, I am a die hard bowhunter and shoot countless arrows since I shoot almost everyday, any other questions feel free to ask away.
My back up is the anarchy an I still think its better than my mathews, I may trade in the helim an get the new bear. Is bad arse

Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #6

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

I shot the motive 6&7 and was still more impressed with my anarchy, my dad shoots the carnage and he really likes it, but at 6'2 with a 30" draw I liked the longer ata in the anarchy, bows are like asking what the best pick up truck is, its all personal opinion, IMHO there is no bow that is bad and I always tell people I didn't pick the anarchy it picked me, I have shot a lot of different bows, pse, martin, Matthews, Hoyt, elite, strother, hca, diamond, bowtech, if they build it if shot it lol, and I knew when I held the anarchy for the first time and after I drew and shot it once I fell in love and had to have it!

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgersty View Post
I shot the motive 6&7 and was still more impressed with my anarchy, my dad shoots the carnage and he really likes it, but at 6'2 with a 30" draw I liked the longer ata in the anarchy, bows are like asking what the best pick up truck is, its all personal opinion, IMHO there is no bow that is bad and I always tell people I didn't pick the anarchy it picked me, I have shot a lot of different bows, pse, martin, Matthews, Hoyt, elite, strother, hca, diamond, bowtech, if they build it if shot it lol, and I knew when I held the anarchy for the first time and after I drew and shot it once I fell in love and had to have it!
Bear has quietly worked its way back to the top of its game

Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shoot a mission craze 300$ nib its adjustable 17-70 lbs and 19-28 draw length very light and short or you can get a recurve but it all depends on your hight for draw length I believe finger tip to finger tip measurement decided by 2.4

Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #9

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Don't buy big box store. You *WILL* regret it. Find a local archery shop (gotta be one near you I would assume) and go in there.

They'll get you measured, get your peep set up properly, arrows cut to the perfect length, and get your poundage set somewhere comfortable.

Don't listen to anyone who says more lb pull = better. That's simply not true. 80 lbs usually requires special cams, and isn't worth it AT ALL.

I have my draw set at 70 lbs and hit solid, fast, and perfect every time. My wife is set at 50 lbs and has taken deer with ease. My two buddies run at 60 and shoot w/ the best of them.

As for brand name, this is like Ford vs Chevy all over again. 1911 vs Glock, etc etc etc.

You're going to have your higher end bows like PSE and Matthews. Then you'll have your big box store bows like Bear (a favorite of **** holes like Dicks Sporting Goods)

I recommend PSE - it's all I've ever shot from my very first bow till today. PSE Bow Maddness XS is my current set up and I couldn't be more happy.

Careful when getting into it - it gets expensive - quick, but damn it's fun - never a shortage of ammo

Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #10

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

My first compound was a Browning PSE. It was a good beginner bow. You can usually find them on Craiglist or E-Bay pretty inexpensively.

eldar