The gerber ultimate survival knife? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

The gerber ultimate survival knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
First of all, I don't like the design of the knife. It has the badass bayonet look, which is fine on the end of a rifle, but not that handy for most chores. The blade geometry is bad, it's too thick and narrow to be a good cutter, and will have to be re-profiled. Stock, it fall into the "sharpened pry bar" category. Looked at Glock website, it only specified "special hardened steel" as the blade material, have also heard it described as "spring steel" and "high carbon steel". I'm suspicious of knives whose material is hard to pin down. I've seen it mentioned in non-official places that the steel is 1055; have also heard it claimed that it's 1095. The steel is tough, but not hard, about a 55-56 RC rating, which means that even if you change the blade profile to get a good edge on it, it will need to be re-sharpened frequently.

The two best things about it are that it is tough and cheap. Pick one up to leave in the truck, or take camping to to some of the rough chores you don't want to mess up your other knife with, it's okay, but would not want one as my primary blade.
I am coming around now sir. I think ill just stick with Ka-Bar right now. I will be on the hunt for the most bad ass knife until then lol

Old 05-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #22

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
I am coming around now sir. I think ill just stick with Ka-Bar right now. I will be on the hunt for the most bad ass knife until then lol
IMHO, you already found the MBAK...

Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

IMHO, you already found the MBAK...
Heck ya man. I love Ka-Bar

Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #24

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Default Imho

Got one of these last Christmas... have been doing some hiking/camping with it ...It stays either on my belt or in my B.O.B. .... http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-F03T-N-Primitive/dp/B000JJJ652
Full tang construction, decent nylon sheath w/ stone, put paracord around the handle... no fire starter though.
VERY happy with it so far... even if it was made in (gasp) ...China... but I dislike Bear even more than them. I'd respect him more if he could go out in the woods completely by himself... and spend more than 10 minutes without getting $h*t all over himself.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #25

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

I'll stick with my $1 wally world for daily carry. I lose too many of them to bother owning a good one. I have a couple of Old Hickory butcher knives, for deer season. my BOB features an SOG multi tool, but it hangs from a sheath around my neck, along with the matchcase, blastmatch and vasolined cottonballs. the LED light is on my keyring, or it'd be on the same lanyard! when the stuff aint in the sheath, the sheath bouncing on my chest reminds me to put the gear back in place.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #26

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

LOVE that Blastmatch -- damn but that thing throws SCARY, long burning, sparks.

I carry Vasolined cottonballs with me all the time too! What do you use yours for?