Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   The gerber ultimate survival knife? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/gerber-ultimate-survival-knife-91380/)

JMAtactical 05-28-2013 07:14 AM

The gerber ultimate survival knife?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I am seriously considering breaking my normal gerber hating and buying this knife. I have been reading up on the reviews and I used to own one that I put an edge on top of the drop point and smoothed the serrations out for my truck driving brother so he would have a nice defense knife. This knife has the hammer and fire starter and I think i want it.

Attachment 102979

JW357 05-28-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMAtactical
I am seriously considering breaking my normal gerber hating and buying this knife. I have been reading up on the reviews and I used to own one that I put an edge on top of the drop point and smoothed the serrations out for my truck driving brother so he would have a nice defense knife. This knife has the hammer and fire starter and I think i want it.

Looks nice. Prolly too much money for what I tend to like to spend on knives, though.

JMAtactical 05-28-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWSchramm

Looks nice. Prolly too much money for what I tend to like to spend on knives, though.

Well I can get one on eBay for under 49$... The last time I owned on the fire starter fell out of the sheath while I was in the field and was never recovered. I don't know much about the steel and I am trying to figure out if its worth trusting my life possibly to

mountainman13 05-28-2013 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The BG stuff tends to be decent for the money. They have had a few failures along the line though. The early machetes had a tendency to separate from the handle if used for chopping. I picked the below pictured for about $35. I'm pretty happy with it aside from the safety orange.

flylo 05-28-2013 12:27 PM

This item: Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge by Gerber $33.69 on Amazon with firestarted & sheath & free shipping!

racer_x 05-28-2013 01:29 PM

I like mine, I got the parang and the fixed blade

JMAtactical 05-28-2013 11:35 PM

What about the pro series. I have learned through research that the other knives in this series suck. I want the full tang that you can see. They want over 100$ for it on gerber.com but on eBay I can get on for about 80$ anyone know where I can't find one cheaper

txpossum 05-29-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMAtactical (Post 1260653)
What about the pro series. I have learned through research that the other knives in this series suck. I want the full tang that you can see. They want over 100$ for it on gerber.com but on eBay I can get on for about 80$ anyone know where I can't find one cheaper

IMO for that price you can get a lot better knife.

JMAtactical 05-29-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum

IMO for that price you can get a lot better knife.

My problem is that I dislike the brand and the steel is 7cr17mov. But it literally has everything I want in a survival knife. From the built in sharpener to the fire starter I love that stuff. But the hammer end is my favorite. Do you know of any similar products

rifleman1 05-29-2013 01:45 AM

my son has the folder it is built ok,i thought the price was a little steep i think it was over twenty five dallors or better but it seems alright for him i personaly would spend a little more and buy somthing a little better though.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.