Gerber FAST - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Gerber FAST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1911 View Post
I have been using a Gerber "fast draw" for well over a year now as my everyday knife and I love it, I never thought I'd like such a simple affordable knife so much.

I can't argue with that, I'm glad it works for you. I admire anybody who can carry the same knife for more than a few days! If you're into assisted openers, you ought to take a look at Kershaw, they've got some very well priced excellent quality folders (like the Cyclone, which you can get for around $35 on-line).

I'm a total knife addict, so I don't mind spending $180 for a Benchmade, since I enjoy them a lot. But I understand your point, you certainly don't need to spend hundreds of dollars on a high end production or custom knife to get a functional tool. I know that a $20 Swiss army knife could probably handle 95% of my real life knife needs. I just cut corners on other things that I don't care much about (for instance, my mobile phone is the cheapest model available).
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got my knives in the mail today.

w00t!!!

However, the bug was about 2x smaller than I had envisioned lol...but, still will fit the very few needs I will have for it (and again, for 8 bucks, you cant go wrong)

The handle on the Centofante was larger than I had anticipated, but fits my hand well. I LOVE how solid the blade locks when it is opened. No wiggle room at all.

I'm going to need to break it in, the blade doesn't snap open yet but I'm sure that a little bit of breaking in will be all I need.

Does anyone here sharpen their own blades, or do you send them back to Spyderco? I've heard mixed reviews of whether or not you should let them do it. I've got a kit from Smiths that I picked up at Wallyworld for about 40 bucks. I trust it for my leatherman, but we're also talking about a much more expensive blade now with my Spyderco.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #13

Gerbers are one hell of a knife for the money. I don't you would be dissappointed. However I have been carrying a CRKT M21-02G. For a little more money it is worth it.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post

However, the bug was about 2x smaller than I had envisioned lol...but, still will fit the very few needs I will have for it (and again, for 8 bucks, you cant go wrong)

Does anyone here sharpen their own blades, or do you send them back to Spyderco?

I told you it was tiny... It's still pretty cool, though. And like you said, for $8 you can't really go wrong.

You definitely need to learn how to sharpen your own blades. It's a simple skill, all it takes is a little practice. You'll be amazed by the results you can get.

I would stay away from all the jigs and gadgets, free hand sharpening is harder to learn but worth it. Those gimmicks with fixed angles (like Lansky systems, or even Spyderco's Sharpmaker) work really nice as long as the knife manufacturer set the edge bevels to the same angle the sharpener manufacturer set his stones. Needles waste of money, I've got a few of them (told you I've got a knife problem...) and the only time when they see any use is when I need to do some heavy reprofiling or regrinding (I use a Lansky with an extra coarse diamond stone).

Buy a nice set of stones, they might seem a bit expensive but if you get quality ones it will be a once in a lifetime expenditure. Try Spyderco's ceramic stones, they are very good. Sure, they are around $40 each, but they are worth it. I'd go for one medium grit, one fine and one extra fine Spyderco ceramic bench stones, and one extra coarse and one coarse DMT 6" diamond whetstones. Diamond is better for quick steel removal on really dull knives, while ceramics are much better finishing stones. Add a leather strop charged with some fine buffing compound and you're all set. Between the extra fine ceramic stone and the strop you should be able to get a gleaming, mirror polished edge.

Practice on cheap kitchen knives until you've got the technique down, you'll never look back. Once you get used to what a properly polished VG-10 blade will do, you'll be happy about the investment in quality sharpening equipment and good technique develpment.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #15

if your still looking i got a gerber suspension at bass pro shop, i carried it during basic training in infantry school and im on my 7th month in afghanistan with the same gerber, great quality folding gerber which i got for 21.99. that gerber survived battles and just everyday use on supplies, ropes, building hooches like survival tents etc. not to mention maintanence(i think i spelled that wrong please forgive me) on vehicles. handy, cheap and durable.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #16

Gerbers are not nearly as good as they once were.......despite the decline in quality it is still a good knife for the money. I prefer SOG and Benchmade.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Some companies put out garbage products with no research or development, leave it on the market, and move on.

Spyderco puts out the greatest products ever, made with the finest materials, gives alot of thought to handling, ergonomics, and all around function, releases the product, and then discontinues it as fast as it was released.

I have an addiction to these knives, but I warn you, if you see one you like, jump on it immediately, it won't be around long.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #18

+1 for the Spiderco, i bought one prior to Iraq and haven't carries anything else since.

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #19

i bought an emerson (benchmade) cqc7 probably almost 10 years ago. i've pounded on the blade to use it as a chisel, its the knife i keep in my truck for daily use. it is a quality knife for eighty dollars.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Boker Automatic Kalashnikov 74 Desert / Sand (SER) KALS74DES - Blade HQ

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello